We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

Hi all ;-)

What do people do with the time in between flights at Dubai ? We try to find flight with short connection times but inevitably you seem to get 2 or 3 hours at Dubai airport which I find soooo boring !!!

What do all of you do with this time ????

Darryl

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,469 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

A Guinness and rose wine was $35 back in 2011, thats why we just visit MacDonalds now!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,785 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

We usually have 3 hours going out. By the time we've disembarked, walked for ages, transferred on the train, walked some more, gone up and down lifts/escalators, gone through security, found the next gate......we usually just have time to sit down and get something to eat before a quick waltz round the nearby duty free shops and it's time to go to the next gate ready for boarding.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 17:10
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

123 - nothing really open at that time I'm afraid. You could get a taxi up and down Sheikh Zayed Road and look at the buildings lit up. Then get him to take you to Ravi's (should be open, but make sure it's the proper one) and enjoy a cracking curry for a couple of quid.

England, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

Thanks Mike, it’s many years (decades!) since I had a cheap curry in the early hours of the morning! Do you think it’s likely we’ll be able to find somewhere to try and sleep? I’ve never spent the night in an airport before! I’m imagining it heaving with tired and grumpy travellers and possibly not even being able to find somewhere to sit…

England, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

Actually I’m liking the sound of the curry now I’m thinking about it…not that fancying it at 5.30 in the evening means I’ll fancy it at 4am!! How will I know it’s the proper one though?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

For six hours during the night I would pay for lounge access if you can't access one via another means.

England, United...
Level Contributor
785 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

I had initially thought we would pay for the Marhaba lounge…but it feels like a lot of reviewers have felt that the seating is not comfortable and that it was really busy and not a relaxing place to be. That said, I think it might be the obvious option. I’m thinking that if I gather lots of information/options we can play it by ear on arrival, so I am really grateful for the suggestions. I am actually compiling a document!

london
Level Contributor
330 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

I had a 7 hour layover there overnight a couple of years ago - prepaid for a night in the airport hotel (airside - you don't have to go through immigration). Was a nightmare - they couldn't find my reservation so I had to pay again and the room was filthy. Ended up checking out early and spending the rest of the time in the Emirates lounge (I was lucky to be flying in one of the Emirates first class suites).

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
29. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

I'm actually at the Dubai airport right now on a 19 hour layover. We left the airport for a few hours and toured Dubai a bit (souks, took an abra ride, Dubai mall + burj Khalifa) we came back to the airport and booked a room at the Dubai international hotel (inside the airport after the security checks) and got a few hours of rest. We are waiting for our 3:25am flight to Male now and same as you we don't leave Male until 11pm day of departure with a 6hr layover here again. The hotel is great because you rent it by the hour. It is pricy ($50/ hour) but when you are running on 48 with no sleep any amount seems worth paying for a comfy bed!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Dubai Airport ,,,Soooooooo Boring !!!

I didn't realize you can rent a room by the hour. I just put a mock booking in for 5th to 6th and it priced it at around £100 plus taxes:

dubaiairporthotel.com/…plinks

Snooze cubes you can rent for $16 an hour I think - located in T1.

sleepinginairports.net/mideast/…guideTo

Edited: 04 May 2014, 21:27