We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
246 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

Dear Members,

After doing some research and pricing factors, I have following two options to choose from:

Note: Pricing of option 1 and option 2 is the same.

Ocassion: Honeymoon

Preferences:

1. We are vegetarians,

2. Beer lovers and not heavy drinkers

3. Want to sit on soft sand and enjoy good views of turquoise blue waters

4. Privacy for us during entire stay

5. Enjoy some good marine life near the shore as we cannot swim.

Date of Travel: 22 May 2014

Option 1:

Vilamendhoo

Number of nights: 6

Plan: All Inclusive

Room Type: 4 nights in Beach, and 2 nights in jacuzzi water villa

Option 2:

Atmosphere Kanifushi

Number of nights: 5

Plan: Platinum Plus

Room Type: Sunset Beach Villa on all days

Appreciate your help in choosing the option. If you have any questions, please let me know. I need to make my decision in around 12 hours.

Thanks,

Anil

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

I would choose Kanifushi even though you have one less day in the Maldives and don't have a water villa. It is a 5-star resort, whereas Vilamendhoo is a 4-star. It is also a more naturally beautiful island than Vilamendhoo in terms of beaches and lagoon. For someone who cannot swim, the large lagoon would be very well suited. Vilamendhoo's biggest asset is the reef, which sadly you will not be able to explore. I have not been to Kanifushi yet, but I imagine it would feel more quiet and private in comparison to the busy vibe of Vilamendhoo. As vegetarians, the new vegetarian-only restaurant at Kanifushi would be a major draw too over Vilamendhoo.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
246 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

Thanks jpmaldivestraveller for your inputs.

Definitely Vilamendhoo will take a beating in terms of quality of food or drinks, only plus point is that I get to stay in water villa for two days.

Also, read on tripadvisor that there are lot of dead corals on Atmosphere Kanifushi resort, hence the beach will not be a white powdery sand. That did concern me, as we will have to spend considerable time on the beach itself.

Your thoughts on the same?

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

I'd be very surprised if the beach at Kanifushi is worse than Vilamendhoo. There are quite a few unsightly sandbags and sea defences around the beach at Vilamendhoo because of the rather serious erosion. The beaches can sometimes be very narrow and not very pretty to look at. In contrast, Kanifushi looks to have a wide beach all the way around. The sand quality might not be perfectly powdery in some sections, but I believe the main side facing the lagoon should have soft enough sand.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
246 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

Also, I'm getting Veligandu - jacuzzi water villa (AI) for 5 nights at same cost.

Thoughts?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

The JWVs at Veligandu have a hot tub on the deck. Nice sand bank and lagoon areas. You will get a selection of vegetarian food at the buffet.

I prefer Veligandu over Vilamendhoo apart from the reef. There isn't much of a decent house reef at Veligandu (which isn't an issue so much for you I guess).

Would prefer the Veligandu option also if you can stay in a JWV and not have to waste time moving rooms.

Not been to Kanifushi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

The jacuzzi water villas at Veligandu are lovely, and the island overall is a higher class than Vilamendhoo. I would definitely choose it over Vilamendhoo if snorkeling is off the list. I would personally still prefer Kanifushi as it looks more beautiful and luxurious to me, but Veligandu is certainly a very good option if you decide the water villa is a must.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

Things to consider - Kanifushi is a much larger island with less rooms. It has a vegetarian restaurant. The all inclusive is one of the best in the Maldives including bottled wine, mini bar, snacks and some trips. Also includes non-motorised water sports. It is a higher class than Vilamendhoo. I actually can't believe they are coming out at a similar price. I looked at Vilamendhoo as a budget option last year. It was about half the price of Kanifushi.

Villamendhoo has a house reef, but not much beach.

We have been to Vilamendhoo in the past and are going to Kanifushi this July. Beach villas on Vilamendhoo are 55sqm Kanifushi 100 sqm.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
246 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

Thank you everyone for your valuable insights. I'm considering going for JWV for 6 nights at Veligandu. Only reason for opting Veligandu over Kanifushi is I will be staying at JWV instead of beach villa. WV have always fascinated us, as you easily don't find them anywhere near India.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

' Marine life near shore, as we are not swimmers' that is quite a statement and I would suggest you look at Islands with lots of WVs long jetties etc.... as walking along these will give you loads of good viewing .

we were recently at Chaaya ellaidhoo, and walking around the circular WV boardwalk daily was enjoyable , even though we see it all snorkelling. all the usual reef fish plus a turtle , morays cuttlefish sharks etc.... just worth considering.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,370 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent: Vilamendhoo v/s Atmosphere Kanifushi

That is a very good point buckle -bugs. Also at the end of some jetties you can actually see the drop off.