We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Six senses laamu snorkelling

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Six senses laamu snorkelling

Hi guys

Hoping someone can help me out with something.. I have heard allot of mixed reviews about the snorkellig at six senses laamu, just wondering what your experiences are?

We are considering this resort for our honeymoon but are hoping to stay somewhere with a nice house reef. I'm just a little confused as some reviews say it's great and others say it has very poor snorkelling..

Thanks heaps!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Six senses laamu snorkelling

Yes, its true that there are quite mixed comment on snorkeling environment in SSL. It depends on which part you go for snorkeling, if you just go from the Chill bar like most people do (also instructed by the dive center, don't know why they would recommend guests to go from there), there are not much to see but dead corals. There are also not much to see inside the lagoon area.

Different from some of the reef in Maldives island, SSL's reef is not all around the island, the best reef area is from mid-end of Jetty A all along towards the sand bank. These area are having a lot of very healthy corals which is good enough for my 2 hours+ snorkeling per day, its rich of marine life, we saw school of fishes, napoleon fishes, sea turtles, lobster, Morays, octopus, nudibranches, etc.

You could refer to the photos in my reviews for your reference:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g2050017-d20…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g2050017-d20…

I've been to more than 10 Maldives islands and would rate SSL as the best or one of the best house reef I've visited, the major cons of it would be it is located a bit far from most of the villas (except those at Jetty A facing west), but there are stair cases at the end of Jetty A which you could access from there.

If easy access to house reef from beach is important to you, you may take a look of Park Hyatt Hadahaa, Banyantree Vabinfaru, Angsana Ihuru and Dusit Thani.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,367 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Six senses laamu snorkelling

my experience was that it was not overwhelming . others call it over the top great .. so its likely somewhere in between lol .

my biggest issue was the inconvenience and awkwardness of having to lug my snorkeling gear by bicycle across the island and use the entrance to the reef through the bar ... then exiting same spot and once again , traipsing through the bar , dripping water and feeling somewhat embarrassed... just wasn't comfortable for me but I am spoiled :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Six senses laamu snorkelling

Agree with Spammie that its embarass to pass through the restaurant and bar to go for snorkeling, its really not a good idea and the resort should think of an easier and better way for guests who are not staying at jetty A. Its also too long to swim from chill bar to the start of best reef area. If budget allows, book a lammu water villa and request for villa 11 to 18 if you prefer facing west and villa 19 to 20 if you prefer facing east. Otherwise, ride the bike to end of jetty A and snorkel from there, but it could be really troublesome.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Six senses laamu snorkelling

I was at Six Senses Laamu last year and found the reef much better than previously expected. Frequent T has described exactly why the reef has such mixed reviews. Much of the area commonly snorkeled by guests is quite poor in terms of corals, but further out it is full of increasingly beautiful and healthy corals. I have been to most of the top reefs in the Maldives, and the best section of SSL's reef around the Sandbank is right up close with the best of them. But to be fair, evaluating the reef as a whole (including the damaged bits and accessibility issue) drops it down a few spots on my list compared to the 360 degree pristine reefs. If you plan on doing any serious snorkeling, a Jetty A villa is really a must. Any other location would be inconvenient as Spammie and Frequent T pointed out. You won't see much off the water villas themselves, and it is already a pretty long swim to the best areas even from the very end of Jetty A.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Six senses laamu snorkelling

Thanks heaps for your help everyone :) Much appreciated!

6. Re: Six senses laamu snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:16