We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Twinning of Islands

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Twinning of Islands

I know most of the experts / regulars in the forum do not tend to visit more than 1 island in a trip.

But if you really twin two islands in one trip, apart from location for time saving of transit, do you tend to twin 2 similar one in the same league / quality to ensure there won't be great disappointment on either one OR you will look for something very different in order to avoid comparison and just enjoy its own specialties?

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Twinning of Islands

We've twinned two islands three times. We twinned a cheaper island with a more expensive one as we wanted 14 nights and this way it was cheaper than just 10 nights on the more expensive choice. We're also usually happy to move on and fancy a change after 7 nights. We did the following:

Kuramathi with Soneva Fushi

Vilamendhoo with Mirihi

Reethi Beach with Athuruga

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Twinning of Islands

Sounds a very good strategy, Cakestin

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Twinning of Islands

We only twined islands either due to lack of vacancy for our whole duration or not too confident of the reef or overall quality at the one we were keen to book. -- just to spread the risks really. :))

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Twinning of Islands

Similar to Sologirl, when we twin it's usually combining an island that has a good reef with another island that looks very appealing but lacks or has a poor reef.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Twinning of Islands

Hi

When I twin I try to go for islands which can accommodate a direct transfer - the airport can just sap so much time from your itinerary.

My current trip is combining a few more islands - but that is more business than pleasure, so I have to succumb to the vagaries of Ibrahim Nasir airport quite a few times this month.

Best wishes for a great holiday wherever you go

Richard

Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Twinning of Islands

Hi Richard,

Which Islands have you twinned that do the direct transfer? Other than mirihi/conrad and the 2 constance hotels

Lucy

Level Contributor
195 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Twinning of Islands

Hi Richard,

Which Islands have you twinned that do the direct transfer? Other than mirihi/conrad and the 2 constance hotels

Lucy

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Twinning of Islands

Hi Lucy

There are plenty that will arrange it - just really need to be in the same atoll area, or across a short deep water channel (Anantara Kihavah to Four Seasons LG for instance).

If you take a look online there are some hi-def Maldives maps which will give you resort island locations so as you can start planning.

Thanks

Richard

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Twinning of Islands

Pretty much any resorts that are within comfortable distance of each other can do direct transfers, either by speedboat or by dhoni. It's not usually any cheaper than a seaplane transfer but it is more convenient.

Obviously you to factor in the weather because when it gets rough here, it's really rough.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Twinning of Islands

Thanks for all of your inputs.

Sologirl - Yes, it really help to spread the risk, particularly for my last trip in Viceroy, regret not to twin it with Hufaven Fushi........

JPM - Right, considering to twin an island with good marine life plus one without house reef. By the way, your new profile photo looks great, is it AK?

Lucy - For islands which are located in the same atoll, the resort normally could arrange direct transfer, however, as Kanthony said, there is not much cost saving according to the quotation I got so far, it only save time.

Richard - Thanks for your blog! Keep track on it! Have a wonderful trip!

Kanthony - Thanks for your useful information as always and wish you all the best for your next destination.

Richard -