We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

California
Level Contributor
741 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

Hello everyone, so I've read the faqs page and hotel reviews and still quite unsure of which is most appropriate for my spouse and I:

We would like a modern resort, with house reef, and good over water rooms. So far I am contemplating the W Maldives or the Four Seasons. Our price range is $1500 usd per night or less and we are looking to stay for 7 nights mid November or early December

Only reason I considered the W is bc we are spg platinum guests and not sure if that provided any perks, etc.

I looked at the Conrad and also PH but the rooms didn't seem like our style/ fit....any other options I might have missed is much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

Neither of the Four Seasons have a good house reef, so I wouldn't even consider them. The W Retreat does have an excellent reef and would fit all your requirements very well. The resort is very modern, and the water villas have a large wow factor. Another luxury resort with a great house reef I have been to and can recommend is Huvafen Fushi. It's too bad Park Hyatt doesn't suit your taste, as it has the best house reef I've seen yet.

California
Level Contributor
741 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

Thanks so much, I will look into the Huvafen Fushi as well. If we decide on the W, would you recommend staying in the Lagoon or Ocean sides for better access to their reef and privacy?

Appreciate the feedback

Edited: 19 May 2014, 07:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

The Ocean side villas are closer to the reef drop-off, but they also face the seaplane take-off and landing area. The Lagoon side is more beautiful because of the large expanse of turquoise water, but this is also where a lot of guests partake in water sports. I would say the Ocean side is more private since it is not visible from the beach (also less chance of guests passing by in front), but you will have the occasional view of of a seaplane. Whichever you choose, I would definitely recommend a villa near the end of the jetty for more privacy.

California
Level Contributor
741 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

Thank you very much, that is very insightful to know. Really appreciate your thoughts.

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

4Ss -- I too enjoyed their hotels/ resorts elsewhere, have booked 4Ss Bora Bora for myself but just couldn't see it being the best in Maldives. Excellent services though.

W - many platinum members stay there and the perks such as villa / suite upgrades do not normally apply here - you can be the lucky one though. There is no doubt that you will earn a lot of star points after the stay.

>>a modern resort, with house reef, and good over water rooms.<<

Another two resorts people not very familiar with -

Anantara Kihavah , Jumeirah Dhevanafushi.

Both have outstanding water villas, great amenities and snorkeling. I personally found these two fits your requirement better.

A quick search on Agoda ( the most expensive but quickest place to look for vacancies.) shows both under your budget, you should be able to book cheaper from an agent. What amazed me is AK's water villa coasts around USD 1100 per night whereas Park Hyatt Hadahaa's costs 1373... ( both excludes services / taxes on Agoda. )Definitely a no brainer to go after AK, given that no one recommends to stay at WVs at Hadahaa, due to the air condition problem and other issues, not even to mention the price difference between those two, esp AK's water villa is from a completely different league.

Good luck, hope you have a good holiday in Maldives.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

I am platinum of SPG too and was lucky to be upgraded from beach villa to lagoon water villa, two levels of upgrade for my entire 1 week stay. As you are not going at the high season, I guess you could take a chance, to increase the opportunity, use the suite upgrade award (When I went there, the 10 nights suite upgrade award program has not launched yet). Just in case you are not lucky enough to be upgraded upon check in, could always check with the front desk to see if there is availability during your stay. But if you are very keen on the Water villa experience, then better book it in advance.

Agreed with the comments JPM made on Ocean side and Lagoon side of WV, each side has pros and cons, it mainly depends on your personal preference.

Although I haven't been to AK yet, it is on my wish list, as Sologirl mentioned, the AK WV has a lot of wow factor than W, if price is the same for both, then I would pick AK rather than W. W has better Coral reef than AK though, both of them with rich marine life.

California
Level Contributor
741 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

Thanks so much solo and frequent..more great information to know, will look into sologirl's recommendations

8. Re: Still can't decide on a resort..suggestions appreciate it...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:16