We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Hi All, We are a couple and are planning to visit Maldives for 4 nights from 01 Sept 2014 to 05 Sept 2014 (Arrival Male at 2:10pm on 01 Sept and Depart from Male at 2:45pm on 05 Sept). I request you to advice me on some resorts.

- Budget - 550 USD per night for the resort (total for 2 adults per night).

- Not good swimmers or divers.

- Activity - snorkeling near the beach with some life jackets on, relaxing on beach, a sea plane tour (if available). Mainly interested in the beauty of the island and ocean, nice fish and corals which are easily viewable from the beach or water villa or nearby.

- Minimum One night in a water villa.

- Prefer half board (or anything within the budget, we are easy going with respect to food, maybe a beer a day)

- Transfer - wish for sea plane transfer(if sea plane tour is not available at the resort), but are ok with boat transfer.

- Pool, Restaurents, Children oriented, night life etc are Not Important.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Seaplane is around 500$ per person, is that good for you? Personally, for such a short stay, I wouldn't take a seaplane as you can reach your island soon or wait for 5 hours,.. And you also must be aware of international timetables.

You say you're not good divers, but do you dive? I would lern swimming instead of snorkelling with a life jacket being a non good swimmers: accidents happen and I wouldn't take the risk.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Thank You Mariaeugene for the reply.

About seaplane, the idea was to have the view of the islands from the plane. But I would avoid it if it takes 5hrs of time(including waiting etc).

Regarding diving, we did not dive till now. We did snorkel somewhere near Oman, but it was close to beach and was a bay with no currents and with life jackets on. So most probably we would end up looking at marine life from the water villa or snorkel near the beach with a group. We could also take a dive lesson and try to dive, but from the reviews, i guess Thailand would be a better place to do that (more time for the same cost & good reef).

We are searching resorts via tripadvisor and booking.com, but are a bit confused about the right resorts. For eg some reviews say that there is plenty of marine life (except multicolor fish) near beach and water villa of Medhufushi, where the resort also seems to be good but no active reef.

Adaaran Club Rannalhi seems to be a lower rated resort but looks like it has an active reef nearby and hence lot of bright color fish near shore.

Olhuveli beach and spa resort seems to be good as well. And we dont know how many more are we missing...

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Ok...looking at my post again, i dont see the point. So instead of worrying about snorkeling and diving, we would mostly stay out of water and be happy with what we can see from beach or knee deep water and from water villa. Any ideas which resort would be good for that?

So main considerations would be just a good island (which i guess most of them are) and a bit of sea life near beach.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

consider Angsana Ihuru - lovely small island.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Be aware that most reviews are written by first timers, so that island : "their island" is the best of Maldives, the most beautiful of the world, there are corals and colourful fishes everywhere, and the food and the staff are the best of the world... And that will be your impression no matter where you go... So if you really want useful information from reviews, you need yo read reviews from people who knows several islands (at least in my opinion).

Nobody control seaplanes timetables, so until you arrive and make your seaplane check-in you won't know at what time you'll be leaving, so you must decide now if you want a speedboat or a seaplane transfer, so that we can say some options...

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Thank You John....I have added Angsana Ihuru to the list ....

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Yes Mariaeugene, for a person visiting maldives for the first time, it would be all beautiful and best. I am trying to read more reviews from frequent maldives visitors.

Seaplanes seem to be too much trouble and we choose boat transfer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Angsana Ihuru is a lovely island with excellent snorkeling, but I'm afraid it doesn't have any water villas.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

Thank You JP....I've added Angsana Ihuru to the list...

10. Re: Requesting advice for 4 day trip in Sept 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:16