We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

London
Level Contributor
418 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are hoping to go to the Maldives for our 5th wedding anniversary, hopefully 8-16th August for a week but we have no idea which hotel to stay at. 

We are both 30, we will be going for a week from London, and preferably spend no more than £6000-6500 for a week all inclusive including flights and hotels (we would consider a stop over flight if the layover isn't too long).

The main aim of the holiday is just to relax and be pampered as we are hoping it will be our last holiday before starting a family, so we would like a luxury hotel, with top service, beautiful large rooms, a great pool, preferably somewhere with activities/facilities in case it rains (e.g. In room DVD players and library, games etc), but the last point is not a deal breaker.

We would like somewhere with as few kids as possible (but not if this limits the level of hotel available), and I expect we would want to stay in an over water bungalow but I am not sure as there is one small issue: I don't like fish! I don't have a problem with looking at pretty fish through a glass panel in the floor but I get really freaked out by swimming in the sea if there are fish around! I know this is completely the wrong thing to say on this forum but the thought of doing laps in the sea with a friendly octopus makes me really squeamish!

My husband on the other hand, does like fish, but isn't a strong swimmer, so he would probably do a bit of snorkelling, but wouldn't be able to dive or spend that much time hanging with nemo. Basically, the bottom line is we don't need an amazing reef with lots of fish! And I'm also wondering about splitting time between a regular room and a water room? But packing and unpacking in two different rooms seems like a bit of a hassle.

We are both vegetarian if the food is of varying quality in the hotels that would be a factor. Weve had a couple of friends stay at the Constance moo fushi in the past and said the chefs went out of their way to make different vegetarian items for them. We also have a friend who stayed at the cocoa island by como resort and loved it. We are open to other hotels though (and would maybe even prefer to stay somewhere different), we have nothing to go on apart from the list on tripadvisor so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for such a long post but just want to give as much information as possible so we can find something suited to our needs. Would be grateful for advice as we don't know where to start.

Also wanted to ask if anyone knows good companies to book all inclusive packages through from London? As we can't seem to get packages via Expedia and the like, they seem to just offer hotels with bed and breakfast.

Thank you!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,010 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

You could look at Komandoo. It is currently the only adults only resort in the Maldives. It has a swimming pool and good food. You could get full board at somewhere like Coco Palm Boduhithi. I believe these villas have their own pool, though I don't know much about the resort.

Take a look on the Purely Maldives website for an idea of which resorts are in your budget. They can quote you for flights as well, but you'll have to email them for that. Other highly regarded agents on here are Simply Maldives, Travel Lab and Travel Designers. Definitely best to avoid Expedia and Agoda et al as often things like transfers and taxes aren't included. Make sure any quote includes these as they add a significant amount to your bill.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

So if you really dont't like fish, you won't be able to go into the water, are you aware of that? Because you will always find them close to you, more or less, depending on the island or location, but you'll see them...

Cocoa doesn't offer AI. AI may be the deal breaker, as the best resorts (with very few exceptions), don't offer AI.

Maybe the best option for you would be an island with a big lagoon and a far away reef, to reduce the number of fishes (but there will be some), or an island with sea fences and stay at a beach Villa, as inside the fences there are also less fishes. Maybe Komandoo (with AI), Baros (no AI), Anantara Dighu (no AI), or Constance Halaveli (you could stay at a water Villa in the lagoon side, no in the reef side, and no AI).

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

I can also recommend Original Diving for travelling to Maldives.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Maria ,,

Congratulations on getting the DE well done ,well deserved :-)

Darryl

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Hi

If I was spending that kind of money and wanted a true Maldives feel I would look at ....

Mirihi

Athuruga

Park Hyatt

A good agent both trusted and recommended by members is Purely Maldives ... Also try ....

Purely Maldives

Simply Maldives

Travel councillor

Tropical sky

Travellab

Good luck

Darryl

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Are you sure you want to go to the Maldives if you don't like fish and your hubby can't really swim too well? How much do you not like fish,,,is it bordering on a phobia or are you ok being in the lagoon and there is fish in there with you?

Anyway, why don't you also look somewhere like lux?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Thanks Darryl...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,264 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Congrats, Maria :)

London
Level Contributor
418 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Hi everyone,

Wow, thank you so much for all the quick replies!! Where to start...

If the 'best' hotels dont offer AI, can anyone suggest if they might do full board or even half board? We are vegetarian and not big drinkers so with meals included might still work for us. Also, which hotels are considered the 'best' ones?

How much do i not like fish... Hmm its a bit difficult to define as i havent been in the situation that much but when we were swimming with dolphins in cancun, every time the instructor came next to me with his bag of food for the dolphins, a million little fish swarmed all around me which wasnt great. I suppose if i know the fish are there and i can see them and they arent touching me it might be ok but its more the idea of what i cant see and i could end up stepping on a slimy octopus or stingray or crab or have a massive fish rub against my leg!

At the same time it would be nice to have a good pool so that we can spend time there rather than in the sea all the time, as i think we will really be resting mainly. Not into doing many watersports as we have done parasailing, jetski etc before.

And one other thing i forgot to mention was that wed like an island with clear turquoise water like in the photos! (Im not sure if all of them are like that but incase they arent, just thought id mention!)

Ill also have a look at all the website suggestions people have given, thanks so much!

Also, can anyone advise if location has any bearing on anything? (Ie in relation to male and which islands in terms of position etc)?

London
Level Contributor
418 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel in August - pls help we are clueless!

Also, just to add, we had a quick look at the purelymaldives website, which was quite helpful so thanks for that suggestion! we are liking the look of gili lankanfushi, cocoa island, lily beach, constance halaveli and constance moofushi at the moment. Can anyone shed any light on these resorts and which, if any, have the edge? We did look at quite a few others but these seem to be the best ones we like so far.

Also if people know about prices and quality of food in these restaurants, as if we go half board, it would be good to know how much we should be expecting to pay, and which resorts have a better pool/nicer activities and facilities?

One other thing we noticed was that the constance moofushi seemed to be a lot cheaper AI than the others on B&B – is there a reason for this does anyone know?

Thank you for all the help!