We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very worrying

england
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Very worrying

See this article in Minivan news

minivannews.com/environment/artificial-reef-…

On a more humorous note the comments are unbelievable.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very worrying

All the more reason to book the maldives this year! I wonder what all the reefs looked like before 1998.

Every time i see a link to that website the comments are filled with politics and religion.

england
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very worrying

Kenny - I had read about it somewhere else and that was one of the factors that encouraged me to push the boat out and book PHH. I just hope that it is not as bad as 1998.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very worrying

its worrying ...actually , its terrifying ... but its not written in stone . according to most climatologists , the patterns can still go either way . some predict a weak el ninjo, most a medium one . I haven't really heard anyone of note suggesting a "super" one.

ironically , California is hoping for a strong one to break their draught as an el ninjo typically brings storms and rain to their coast and they are tired of burning up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very worrying

Very concerning, both the forecast and the comments.

I do wonder how even something like this can be brought back to religion. One dude is on there saying if humans intervene to save the reefs then they are trying to stop gods plans, without logical thought that god gave humans the ability to intervene and save things. If one believes in a god that is. One other dude is basically saying if you are western then all you do is inject heroin and spend money on cigarettes and coffee. Let's be honest he's only half right there. Seriously,,,inject heroin?

Seriously though, it is concerning because we see the Maldivian people as soft, caring and kind. Every single time I look at minivan it would tell me something totally different when I read the comments. It shows a nation focused and deeply divided by religion, politics and with a deep and all encompassing dislike of westerners.

Are the views representative of the nation? As it's a common theme, one would have to say yes, at least the ones who have Internet access and computer access.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very worrying

Where ever you go in the world you find some very strange/warped views. Some of the responses to the letters section of 7 Days in Dubai and Arabian Business make me wonder if I live in Narnia! If you're ever bored then Google them!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very worrying

OnOn - at least you will see PHH before the world ends. As for the comments - anyone watched World News lately?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very worrying

Yeah, I know, I guess sometimes I read them with humor, today maybe a bit more seriously. It's just such a small nation and it's always the same thing, every single time,,,religions, politics and debauched westerners.

The other side of course is did westerners ever do anything to justify that reputation and the answer, is very probably yes. I'm pretty sure locals working in resorts or male, are probably quite shocked about everything from the bikinis, to the booze onwards. Even I've seen some sights that, as a western woman surprised me, from people trying to go to lunch in just their swimwear, going to the bar in a thong, or vomiting in the sand due to excess alcohol. Not often, the majority of people are well behaved, but you do see it and if I'm a tad taken aback, and I've undertaken my share of bad behaviour, then what the heck are the locals thinking,,,and they must see it regularly, because they are not just there for two weeks.

Different worlds colliding I guess.

Pa I think this is on topic as onon specifically mentions the comments in her op,

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very worrying

Actually that other dude is referring to the section of Maldivians (usually the youth in Male) who sit around doing nothing except drugs. You can see his nickname is Ex-Maldivian.

At first I was shocked by comments on minivan.... But after spending a few days with my Maldivian friend in Male, I realized that Maldives is very polarized when it comes to religion. Believe me, the Westerners are just a small part of it as they are mostly in resorts. The biggest issues are among(between?) the conservatives on one side, and the (secretly) non-believers / non-consrvatives / liberals / (insert your favorite alternate term) on the other side.

england
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very worrying

I'm more concerned about el nino than the comments.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very worrying

Agree onon, but it's interesting. To me at least. Local culture is not something we get to see or experience in reality. The Maldives are very unique in that regard, you really don't mix with the locals unless on an inhabited island, even then, you are probably not mixing. On a resort island, not at all.

Xammuri, thanks, I can believe it. It's such a closed down society, even the media is strictly controlled, the reality of it in places like male are seldom exposed to the world.