We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just got back, went with an infant.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Just got back, went with an infant.

So we were really very concerned about going to Maldives with a 22 month old.....to the extent of cancelling our trip and going elsewhere! On top of that, we were booked at a resort which did not have any dedicated kid's facilities (Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru). This was majorly owing to some last minute change in the destination.

In short, we're very glad we went ahead! The Resort staff through the ranks (uptil the GM) went out of their way to look after our needs! The GM went to the extent of personally cooking (daily) specific Indian dishes for our son....other dietary requirements were looked after as well. They had also given us the option of getting a babysitter if we needed one (of course, with a bit of advance notice). It's a different thing that we didn't avail this, nonetheless the gesture was noteworthy! The staff quickly befriended our little one, and on many occasions, came away from their 'posts' to play with him. This wasn't any special treatment....there were other families with children there and we saw similar treatment meted out to one and all. We felt welcomed and very well looked after.

All in all, apprehensive parents should consider setting aside their worries and going for it! It is NOT a 'terrible' idea to take your children to the Maldives!

Edited: 25 June 2014, 14:00
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Good to know .. I won't want to visit then lol!

But glad to hear you had a good time.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

I would honestly not let that hold you back from going there. The resort was full, with guests with kids and those without and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

But to each his own I guess. :)

I would still encourage parents to visit 'Maldives' with their children though.

Meerut
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Thanks for these inputs. I am scheduled to travel next month with my 2 yrs old daughter and your post has given me some courage. Which flight you took from Delhi? Were there any special precautions you took while on flight? I am booked via spicejet and as I am with an infant these duffers are not even allowing me to choose a comfortable seat online.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Hi Sharad,

We flew Del-Koc on Air India and Koc-Male on Spicejet. The Air India flights were on time and comfy. We managed to get an empty seat between us so LO had a good stretched sleep there! There was an almost 3.5 hour layover at Kochi which was just about manageable. Any longer and it would have been an issue!

The return on spicejet was a trauma straight from hell! The flight was delayed by 10 hours owing to a fault in the incoming flight from Kochi but which we were informed of in a deferred manner (think of the indian railways announcements). This could be a one-off experience, but it was unbearable nonetheless. We were to take off at 1445 hrs and finally took off around midnight. That was a traumatic experience for the LO. You could look at Srilankan, their timings didn't work for us though! I would recommend Air India for Del-Koc as their flights are far more spacious and comfortable, believe it or not!

The 'comfortable' seats on spicejet are usually the front row and the emergency exit, which as per regulations, cannot be allotted to pax with children/ infants, so I wouldn't really blame the airline on that. Mind, if you're flying spicejet Koch-Male, it's a Bombardier Q400 turboprop (propeller) aircraft. The flight was ok....it's a 2x2 seating style. You'll manage it as it's only a matter of 1.30 hrs.

You may want to carry the basics for the LO such as blanket, usual nibbles, something for takeoff and landing to keep the ears popped. Feeding an infant during take-off and landing is a globally renowned tactic which helps this AND helps put the baby to bed. Carry food for the layover, sufficient diapers, etc. We carried a pram and that helped a lot!

Let me know any specific queries you may have...and happy planning! We didn't want to return!

Meerut
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Hi Shiv,

Thanks for the elaborated response :-)

I am booked via Spicejet to and fro....lets see how it goes. Are there any specific seats which are given to people with infants on spicejet...or it will be at random?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
78 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

As far as I know, there are no specific seats given to pax with infants on this airline. There are such provisions on other airlines which I know for certain. You can select your seats on their website prior to your travel using your booking reference. Just don't book seats in the emergency exit row. I traveled once on a 'spicemax' seat (first row) on one of their 737's and trust me, it was very uncomfortable! Seats were way too narrow, legroom was better though.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 09:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

sharad131 is your child a lap child or do they have their own seat? If lap child, the reason you cant reserve the seat on line is there needs to be enough oxygen masks for all, so you need to be seated in a row with an extra mask fitted. You cant just sit anywhere, because if you sit in a row with only one mask per seat, your child or you will not have one in an emergency, there also needs to be an awareness of other lap children and where they sit. that's why they reserve you manually.

Meerut
Level Contributor
64 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Hi Froggy,

Thanks for the logical reason.

She is a lap child.

Regards.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Hello Sharad and Shiv,

How was your experience in Maldives, do you change from Domestic airport to International airport in Kochi and how much time does it take to complete the immigration process in Kochi (both while going and coming back?) I am booked with Mumbai Maldives Spicejet flight and want to know if the transit time is enough to complete all immigration process.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Just got back, went with an infant.

Glad you had a great time :)

Our daughter first went at that age to Bandos. Staff were absolutely amazing so she got a lot of attention and one off meals if she was being fussy!. Same again when she was five in Meeru. Now booked for Embudu just days before she turns eight. Can't wait.

The Maldives are fantastic for kids much to the horror of newly weds :)

Cheers

Colin