We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

Hello my teenage son and I have 9 hours to fill from hotel check out till our flight leaves at 11pm. Any suggestions on how to spend this time? Thank you.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

Hello Pia

It depends which island you have been staying on and the type of transfer involved. Most islands will allow you to stay insitu (paying for meals if need be) and may offer a day room for showering/changing.

It is also conceivable that you will be allowed to stay in your room if it is not needed for somebody arrivign that day.

Have fun

Richard from PurelyMaldives

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

Hi and welcome to the forum

Which resort are you staying at? If you have a speedboat transfer you may well not leave your island until it is time for you to check in for your flight. This has happened to us before. Yes, you officially check out early afternoon, but we've been given a day room to use, or at the very least somewhere to shower and change before leaving the island. You'll still be able to get food and drink, you'll just have to pay for it before actually leaving. If you have a seaplane transfer, then in all likelihood you will leave late afternoon, so that you are back at the airport before dark ie around 6pm. With that scenario, I'd suggest either heading to the airport hotel for a meal etc or leaving your luggage in a locker (near departures) and catching the ferry across to Male for a meal. If you do leave your island earlier, then you could have a brief wander around Male (there isn't a huge amount to see) before eating.

Hope that helps a bit

SL

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

Thanks for the replies . I think we will explore Male as we are not staying on an island but a boat and check out is at 2 pm.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

Hi Pia

Well that will take 10 minutes or so only 8 hours 50 to fill

Regards

Doug

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,401 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

I don't know how much money you want to spend? but there is a hotel on the airport island, You can get a day room if needed, but I think you can just use the facilities at a charge. We once spent a couple of hours there when we were left off our seaplane transfer list. There is a pool, restaurant and bar. It is very pleasant. Not sure of the cost, as we did not pay. It was someone else's error that ended up there.

http://www.hih.com.mv/

6. Re: Suggestions on how to spend 9 hours at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17