We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Hi

In the midst of doing our 2015 Maldivian holiday research and have the possibility to go during high season (Feb) ... but the prices, ouch!

So, looking at various options, including Filitheyo and Coco Palm Bodu Hithi (spelling?) - how do their house reefs compare to Baros', for example? We'd like a decent house reef but does not have to be the best.

Keen on a water villa, but realise that in the end will probably have to compromise somewhere - eg standard of accommodation, food, but not the house reef :)

Thanks!

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,380 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Out of the ones you mention I have only been to Filitheyo. I thought the reef quite good with lots of fish. Not the best reef, and only a strip rather than circling the entire island, but still pretty good and close to shore in places. I would say the reef was better than Reethi beach and a similar standard, but smaller scale to Kuramathi. Filitheyo is similar to both Kuramathi and Reethi in that the reef is just on one side of the island.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Thank you, T23, that's helpful!

Rather liked the look of those water villas from shawnwithcaterina's video.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
885 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

I stayed in the water villas a few years ago and they are really lovely, a nice big deck over the lagoon. Unfortunately I hadn't found my snorkelling legs when I went and had a panic attack when I saw the 'drop off' I stayed in the shallows after that!! I am now over this and love the drop off!! So can't really comment on the reef, my partner at the time said he really enjoyed snorkelling it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Thank you for the feedback! I remember those days too :) Took me ages to leave the lagoon - which can be interesting in itself and spent lots of time with eagle rays there and all the baby reef fish, plus the odd surprise visit from a shark lol. My first visit to a reef drop off was at Komandoo and I was blown away ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

In terms of corals, I found Bodu Hithi quite good. Some damaged areas mixed with beautiful and healthy corals. I remember it being quite similar to Baros in quality. Filitheyo was more bleached than the other two and not much live coral to look at. The fish life is very good though.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Thank you, JP!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

I haven't seen none, but as far as i know from other people CBH has a good reef in terms of coral, so better than Fili, and I would say that better than Baros...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Thanks, Maria!

Now I just need to win the lottery or persuade OH of staying in a beach villa ... :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Have you been to, or ruled out Ellaidhoo ? we thought the reef superb so much to see. we had an upgrade when we arrived , to WV for really silly money. too good to miss although WVs are not my bag , it was a lovely room. great unrestricted view out over the seawall,

The food at the WV restaurant that caters for a max of 48 was brilliant , they cooked anything you wanted fresh, couldn't fault it

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How does the reef at Fili and CPBH compare to ...

Thanks, b-b, no, not occurred to me, will take a look!