We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manta in male atoll

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Manta in male atoll

I know sightings are partly luck dependant but wondered if sightings were possible in the male atolls around march time, particularly for snorkeling rather than diving?

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manta in male atoll

Haven't seen them (snorkelling or diving) when we've been on Biya in March - only when we've been September or October (Biya and Fihalhohi) when we've seen them both snorkelling and diving.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
213 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manta in male atoll

saw them diving from hudhuranfushi 2 years ago in April but the dive staff thought it was very unusual at that time of year

Fiji
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manta in male atoll

Good afternoon,

There is two locations that I know of that are snorkellable (at the correct tide and weather conditions) for Manta cleaning stations in North Male' Atoll. Check with the local dive / waterspouts team and they should be able to assist with this.

Thanks

Jason

Kurumba Maldives

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
591 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manta in male atoll

Rasfari corner and Bodu Hithi Thila for manta in the north Male Atoll in March. Rasfari is certainly good for snorkelling as max depth is 4m there

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manta in male atoll

we went to Bodu hithi thila from Meeru. we dived but also snorkelled. It was in feb a good few years ago but masses of Mantas. I think its a pretty well known site

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manta in male atoll

Thanks everyone, sounds like it might be possible if luck is on our side.

Looking at a twin island trip next time and I'd love hubby to see his first manta!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manta in male atoll

I saw them in Lankanfushi Diving in August, though last year i was told hay Baros staff that no mantas in the Atoll in August or september, so we didn't go to a manga point... Maybe seasons change?

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manta in male atoll

I snorkelled with them in March 2013 when we were at Eriyadu and I know someone who also saw them this March from the same island too. There were lots around when we went to Fiha in March two years previously although they didn't appear for us!

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manta in male atoll

July 2004 from Paradise island - think it was on or near Banana Reef

10. Re: Manta in male atoll

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:17