We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lock your doors peeps....

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
Lock your doors peeps....

Just to reiterate....

.....our neighbours came in our room *by mistake of course* (undeterred by our snorkelling kit on the door step) and helped themselves to some of the contents of our mini bar :-0

If you're gonna steal don't leave a sandy/wet footprint trail.....grrrrr. And at least they had the decency to admit it when confronted.

We'd gone off for brekkie and that door was closed but, it seems, it hadn't been locked by the room boy. Luckily all our valuables were in the safe.

We had been in the habit of leaving the bathroom door unlocked to go in and out however.....but it makes you think.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,084 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

I suppose thieves and murders go on holiday too !!! Gulp :-0

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

Spoils the relaxed feeling for sure....

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

We did notice that some of the villa locks were being changed to proper yale style with key. The present ones on the sliding doors found a bit of a pain at times with the doors not meeting and that twist lock / hook mechanism not up to the job. Must admit we left our doors unlocked most of the time.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

When myself and my good lady were there in May we tended to leave a door unlocked for easy access after snorkelling or diving - it felt like a place you could.

This is not good though - and against what I think the island is all about....

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

Maybe because they need to get the rooms filled up at the minute? A case of economics to take whatever bookings they can get.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 14:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

We leave ours open too, in fact we go one worse and tuck the key under a sun lounger just in case the room boy locks it by mistake. Same reason it's for when we are out snorkelling. All valuables are in the safe.

But still it's really not on to go into someone else's room and take stuff from their mini bar. Even if you get along fine with your neighbour, they are out and you really want a cola and have drunk all yours, you don't just walk into someone else's room and take one.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

I have never locked my doors in the Maldives and I flat refuse to start lol ... I know its silly but I just cant be bothered lugging a key with me .... where ? in my bikini top ? but then, I always have my mini bar filled with nothing but diet sodas ... they can have them ! just leave me one..

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

I'd rather not lock the door either

:-(

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

What did management have to say Lyn? I'd be losing my marbles about it.

We don't lock our room, having seen our room key float to the bottom of the ocean before we leave it open when snorkeling. Always ensure valuables in safe but that's not the point, its a complete invasion of privacy....

Edited: 06 July 2014, 15:17
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lock your doors peeps....

The top management aren't here at the minute. But their assistant said that the person concerned had admitted it and the island had charged them for what they took from our mini bar. Luckily they don't seem to have touched anything else.

But they are still next door. With child. :-(

Oh, by the way....it was all a case of mistaken room.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 15:22