We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best spot for shore snorkeling?

SF Bay
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best spot for shore snorkeling?

Hi,

My wife and I are looking for a nice place to do some snorkeling (and myself some UW photography). We've done multiple Hawaiian islands, the Keys, and Vanua Levu and Viti Levu in Fiji. My wife loved the shallow lagoons chest deep water and filled with coral in Fiji and were hoping to find something similar somewhere different.

At first I was thinking Cook Islands, but have heard that the snorkeling is not as great, and is mostly white sand lagoon, with little coral. We are currently leaning towards the Maldives and would love some suggestions on resorts with snorkeling right from the beach and/or a short kayak trip. We are more interested in coral and reef fish than we are sharks, rays and other typical "sand lagoon" snorkeling attractions.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

There are several islands with good and accessible house reefs, though the highlight is snorkeling along the reef drop-off rather than in the shallow lagoons (where there is usually less coral and fish life). For the best and most easily accessible house reefs, have a look at Park Hyatt Hadahaa, Robinson Club, Mirihi, Angsana Ihuru, Kandolhu, Athuruga, W Retreat.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

As jp said in the Maldives the snorkelling is better at the drop -off, no in the lagoons... But Conrad Rangali could be an option,más in the reef side there is a vast flat shallow area for snorkelling, though when we were there last August-September, nobody went snorkelling there, just maldivesaddict and I. It was not so easy to reach, as it isn't immediately by the island.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,648 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

Vilamendhoo and Ellaidhoo are lower budget options.

There are not many islands with chest high deep lagoons. Many of the islands themselves are less than chest high!!

John

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

Hi

It would help the forum if you posted your budget and when you are going ?

As john said Vilamendhoo has very easy accessible snorkeling that is is only a few metres off the beach .

If you are looking for a smaller more up market island and your budget will stretch to it try ...

Mirihi

Athuruga

PHH

RC

all suggested by our DEs

Good luck

Darryl

SF Bay
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely do some more research.

We don't need the lagoons, if snorkeling is better on the drop off, we'll be there. I'm hoping some of the house reefs are not too deep however, perhaps 20'-30'?

We may have to go for some of the lower cost options, I'd like to keep this between 8-10k all in with flight from California...perhaps a tough proposition.

Sorry, also forgot to mention intended travel dates 11/15 - 11/29 or 30.

Thanks!

Edited: 09 July 2014, 06:38
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

I would look at Vilamendhoo :-) it has very shallow snorkeling on the beach side of the drop off :-)

You can check out availability and prices on the purely Maldives web site ..

Darryl

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

http://www.purelymaldives.co.uk

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

Purely Maldives has very high prices for Vilamendhoo compared with others like Simply Maldives. PM quoted me 1000 euro more than Simply, 300 euro more than Vila website.

Miki

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

I agree

Prices can vary between agents and the islands they offer . Best to get quotes from a few agents but be sure to check that the difference in price is not due to a different package !! For example PM price includes all taxes and transfer ( sea plane ) , I am not sure that the Vilamendhoo web site price does ? You may need to add on the cost of the sea plane .

Edited: 09 July 2014, 08:43
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best spot for shore snorkeling?

Ihuru has the drop off or reef entry channel just 2-3 metres from shore in places and you can walk there - depending on tide the water up to that point will be knee or thigh deep.

It is a tiny island accessible by speedboat and has an excellent house reef.