We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What island would you choose?

Sofia
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What island would you choose?

Hi all,

We have a planned visit to Maldives in August and we need to decide where to go. The options are not so many. We had decided to go to Angaga but there are construction works going on there so we need to think once again if this is the location in that case. This will be our fist trip to Maldives and as Maldives are expensive in general we will not be able to go there again soon. So we want to get the best of it in terms of snorkeling/house reef, wilderness and nice white sandy beach with turquoise water. We are a bit concerned about the dangerous water currents and the weather in August. Here are my impressions from what I've read so far. So what would you choose from the following:

Angaga - this is closest to what we want but construction works are on going currently.

Meedhupparu - seems good but reef is not impressive and I'm bothered the wall will ruin the "being on Maldives" feeling

Thulhagiri - looks nice but small beach and to close to Male (probably noise and that kills the wilderness

Ellaidhoo - nice sea life but an ugly wall surrounding the island and a small beach

Olhuveli - a bit expensive and probably too crowded

Sun Island - no house reef and bad attitude of the personnel.

Thanks in advance for your opinion!

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What island would you choose?

Even with the construction, my choice would be Angaga.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What island would you choose?

I'd say your cutting it fine for august and availability.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 08:07
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What island would you choose?

Angaga or Ellaidhoo . Forget the rest

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What island would you choose?

Out of that list I'd also say Angaga, Ellaidhoo is the only other one I would consider, there are lots of others in that price bracket to consider, komandoo, Reethi beach, vilamendhoo for a start all with good snorkelling.

Sofia
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What island would you choose?

Thank you all for your replies! They gave us the confidence we needed to book in Angaga despite the construction works there. :)

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What island would you choose?

another vote for angaga ... maybe ellaidhoo in a serious pinch . would not consider the rest

NORWICH
Level Contributor
206 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What island would you choose?

Angaga is the most beautiful island, sure the construction won't effect you. Look forward to hearing what you think

Sofia
Level Contributor
20 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What island would you choose?

Sure and thanks for the reply! We are more and more convinced we've made the right choice with booking at Angaga. We're going to Angaga in less than a month and we'll definitely share the experience. Keeping our fingers crossed for the weather.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What island would you choose?

Why won't construction works affect you? They are upgrading the existing villas and building 20 new water villas and there will be noise from hammering, drilling and an unsightly construction site, partially screened off from view.

The island is small, therefore it goes to reason you will see and hear the construction works. This is why prices have been reduced during the period. As long as you know this and are content to go ahead.

Personally, I would choose somewhere without construction works.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What island would you choose?

Having been to Angaga I would jump at any opportunity to go again, building works or no building works!