We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guest houses on islands near Male

United States
Level Contributor
22 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Guest houses on islands near Male

Hello. We're planning a trip to the Maldives and will stay in one of the guest houses on a local island as opposed to a large hotel on a private island.

Can anyone advise on local islands that are less an hour (by speedboat) from Male? We'd ideally like somewhere that it's appropriate for women to wear bathing suits, offers a lot of day trips, has resorts within water taxi distance we can have dinner at, and has a beautiful beach. So far it looks like Kaani beach hotel on Maafushi fits the bill. Any other recommendation on great guest houses?

Thank you!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

I have not been to kaani beach . as best as I understand , they have a fenced off beach part where you can wear a bathing suit .

you can not just pop into a resort for dinner , however . if you are able to visit a resort , its by excursion

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

Large hotel on a prívate island? That is a quite curious sentence, and it isn't the first time we read it, but it isn't a real one... Great guest house?

Be aware that regulars here don't go to guest house, so if you are interested in one, it would be better to contact somebody who has written a review, as most of them don't go back to the forum.

By the way, there is no something like water taxi, you'll have to use the guest house dhoni or speedboat for trips, or the one of the guest house you prefer...

The only reason to go to a guest house in a local island is meeting friends or save money, so I don't really see the point of saving money while you want to have dinner in a resort, or do a lot of excursions. I'd rather go to a budget one.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 05:18
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

If you plan to do lots of excursions to resorts and so on, you'll probably find it as cheap or cheaper to go to a budget resort. The advantage of a resort is Sharia law does not apply. this means you can have a drink, not have to cover (in or out of the water) and so on. If you stay in a resort you can arrange a trip to a local island if you're keen to see local life.

4. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 15:07
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

a large hotel on a private island? Maybe go away and do a bit of research about the maldives. You will spend far more money going on trips from a guest house than you would just booking into a budget resort island in its entirety. If u want dirty beaches, no reef, no alcohol, cover up with no bare flesh much of the time, and spend a fortune on going somewhere for a nice meal with some drinks then go to a guest house. No-one on here goes to guest houses for very good reasons.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

I have had a look at the websites and the reviews of both the Kaani and the Faza, but could not find any information on their charges. If you let us know what you have been quoted, maybe better suggestions will be made. The Faza particularly appears to have lovely helpful staff, but it is a heck of a way to go to end up possibly disappointed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

Maybe post your total budget inc transfers and food and drink, excursions etc and people can help. Your plan seems to be to do cheaper accommodation but then to get the resort experience via day trips, the issue with this is going to be the cost will probably take you over and above what you would spend had you went to a more budget resort ie eriyadu, embudu, fihaholhi, gangehi etc which are all lovely. You don't appear to actually want the local island experience.

You also seldom can have dinner in a resort via day tripping, the speedboat back to the resort will take you back before the restaurant opens, and the dinner cost would be a couple of hundred bucks on average even if you were allowed to stay late.

I think for what you want to do, there is simpler and more cost effective ways to do it.

United States
Level Contributor
22 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

Hi, thank you very much for the feedback.

Our decision to stay on a local island in lieu of a "private" island (I am loathe to use this word as it seems to have caused offence - but what I mean is the islands with only guest hotel/resort accommodation - apologies for any incorrect terminology) follows an article we read on guest houses in the Maldives. It sounded like such a wonderful way to see the place, but based on these posts, it seems it wasn't perhaps the most balanced or informative article.

Thanks again for the feedback. Back to the drawing board!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

no offense at all ... I think people just tried to point out that you will end up spending more if you do it the way you had in mind

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guest houses on islands near Male

That's why the forum is here; it provides you with a wealth of information and experience and can hopefully help to guide you towards and informed decision. I was told of a person who bought a trip to The Maldives on one of the "coupon/deals" sites having been lured by photos of the turquoise Indian Ocean. Nowhere did it explain that as the accommodation was a guest house on a local island was alcohol forbidden, swimwear not permitted and the "picture postcard" Maldives islands somewhere else. As they say if something looks too good to be true it probably is.

Guest houses and stays on local islands suit some travellers, but don't sound appropriate for what you want.