We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Hi. We had a fabulous holiday on Komandoo this May (our 2nd Maldives trip) and are starting to plan returning to Komandoo next year. We are limited to school holidays are planning to go in May half term again.

We went for honeymoon in May/June 2012 (Constance Moofushi) and were pretty lucky with the weather. We were v lucky this year too and only had about 2 hours of rain during one day, so going to take a risk again and go in May for our anniversary!

I've been getting quotes for 6 and 7 nights. We did 6 nights this year and paid £1550 each for a beach villa, all inclusive. 6 nights for 2015, cheapest is £1720 each, or 7 nights £1845 each. We only want to fly Emirates from Manchester so that's pushing it up a bit, but the flights are just over £800 each, which is a fair bit more than what we paid this year. I think we paid about £650.

My question is do we wait and see if the flight prices drop? We booked for this year in November last year (6 months before). But then do we risk Komandoo being fully booked? Of course, the flight price might not even drop at all! Leaning towards 7 nights this time too, we missed our connecting flight this year and lost almost a day on the island which wasn't great. Would appreciate any advice or if anyone wouldn't mind sharing the sorts of prices they pay for flights!

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

If that's where you want to go and the dates then I'd book, I'm impatient though!! Have you tried simply maldives? They are very competitive, we booked komandoo with them for May next year. Our BA direct flights are less than that but we do go from Gatwick.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Yeah the cheapest is with Simply Maldives. There's only a few pounds in it with them and Travel lab. Not sure what the deal is with their deposit though. We debated the direct Gatwick flight but it doesn't go on the days we would need lol.

Does my price for a week AI (£1845 each) sound reasonable?

Edited: 22 July 2014, 13:30
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

I think Iwould wait some months, I don't think it will be fully booked if you try it in september and wait to see if prices go down...

But of course, it is your decision...

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Why not give both companies the opportunity to lower their price and win the sale. If you don't ask you don't get :)

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

If you don't book now and then find out that all the BVs are booked up for your dates (or you can't get on the emirates flights you want) then do you have a plan B that you'd be happy with?? If not, then book now. I usually book early so I know I've got what I want. Also, May is a popular time as prices are lower; and Kom is popular so can get booked solid well in advance.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Hi

I booked Komandoo 13 months in advance to avoid disappointment, Richard from Purely Maldives gave me a great price on hotel/transfer and also booked my Emirates flights a few months later at a lower price than I could get .

I do lots of research before booking and would hate to be disappointed by lack of availability.

My vote is to get more quotes and book ASAP .

Darryl

Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
529 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

We booked couple of months ago for March 2015 to make sure we could get a JBV on sunrise side. Jai from Travellab again beat others first time of asking without any need to ring round to chip away ! As Lynn says, with small islands we much prefer to get it booked to try and get what we want and also the flights we want even if 6 months later it might (or might not !) be £100 cheaper !

London, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

With most islands in low season, I would wait to see if any offers come up nearer the time, but Komandoo seems to get booked way in advance. If your heart is set on Kom, I'd book it asap. Flight prices generally rise the later you leave it.

Paula from Magic of Maldives

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
912 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Jolly Fisherman I don't think you can make sure you get a JBV on the sunrise side, usually a room request by email two weeks before to ask for your preferred side and then fingers crossed!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Komandoo Maldives May 2015 - to book now or wait?

Hi

Get on board with the agent you like and get them to help you.

Ask them to book flights now - and if they come up cheaper later, just drop the original flights and book the cheaper ones.

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives