We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Help! I think I want to change my mind!

We have booked to stay at Dusit Thani next March (7th time to Maldives). We booked a few months ago so we could use our Avios to secure BA flights and ever since then I have been fretting that I may have made the wrong choice. Our other option was Anantara Kihavah and I am leaning towards switching to that resort. The main reason we opted for DT is that at the time it seemed to be getting better reviews for its house reef but I notice that whilst AK does not have such a good house reef it does have an abundance of marine life which we prefer over coral. I really like the fact that at AK you can walk around the island uninterrupted and it looks much "prettier" - but a couple of things make me hesitate. Those being is it as "barefoot luxury" as DT and is it perhaps more family friendly? We stayed at Huvafen Fushi this year and it was perfect!

I realise some of you have answered a similar question I posted a while ago but I am a victim of reading too many reviews on TA which has made me question our choice again so any comments or thoughts would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Depending on when you go, you won't be able to walk all around AK: when we were there, the beach villas between the water villas and the restaurants had no beach (monsoon) (August 2011).

The island is really beautiful and no very built. In that moment Chinese were 80% (quite bad luck with them as they were in general quite irrespectful in my opinion: noisy, smokers and standing at your beach area too happily), now they must be 90% and food was too much focused on them in buffets.

I don't know much about DT: villas looks great but I feel there are too many beach villas and that they are very close and with those fences at the front area, I would feel like in a cage, I don't like that...

If you like Huvafen and you can be without a house reef, go to Niyama...

Anyway, for sure you will enjoy your stay at DT. One friend of mine, who is a travel agent here in Spain, stayed there with his family last year and liked it very much (and he has stayed at most of the resorts).

Berkshire
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Thanks Maria,

That is helpful. If the resort is predominantly Chinese then that could be a nuisance as they can (not all of them of course - there were some lovely Chines guests are HF) as you say be very noisy and intrusive! I knew the beach at AK got eroded on one side in certain months but we would be going in March and would take a beach pool villa on the other side of the island.

Good to know your friends enjoyed DT this year!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

I am also deciding between these two for next year. Frequent T has been very helpful in answering my questions, as she has been to both of them. You can try messaging her for more detailed answers about the two.

From what I gather, AK is a more luxurious resort with a bigger wow factor (villas, restaurants, etc). I think Dusit Thani would be quite family friendly too, as it also offers a kids club. Clientele is probably very similar to AK, as both are Thai properties that are popular with the Asian market.

Frequent T was just there last month and was able to walk around the entire island. She also mentioned she saw more schools of fish at Kihavah's reef versus Dusit Thani but that it may depend on other factors like weather.

However, she liked the food and interior jungle better at Dusit Thani. I thought the island looked very pretty when I was researching, as the interior is so lush. But AK does have the larger and more beautiful lagoon. Is it possible for you to split your trip? That is the advice I was given, as both resorts are a close speedboat transfer from each other.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Thanks IslandExpl0rers

Spitting our trip is one option - we have done it once before in the Maldives however my husband is recovering from a stroke a couple of years ago and would prefer we just stay in one resort as more relaxing! Which one do you think you will choose or are you going to split your stay?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

AK has also a kids club...

Morías if you are travelling two weeks, you can split the stay, but if your are going just one week: your stay at any of them would be too short...

Anyway, Chinese are the most common guests in the Maldives nowdays, so they are the most common guests at almost any island...

Berkshire
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Very true Maria but luckily you can always find peace and quite on your island in the Maldives:-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Hello Moirad,

I agree that staying on one island is more relaxing. I also dislike packing and unpacking, as well as completing all the formalities again upon reaching the second island. We are planning a shorter trip next year, so I don't think we have enough days to do a proper split and not feel rushed.

We are leaning heavily towards AK currently, as the accommodation is a very important requirement for our next trip. I like that the private pools are larger and have jacuzzi seats. The bathrooms also look a lot nicer. The turquoise lagoon surrounding the entire island is also a big plus, as is the underwater restaurant.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Island, I don't know in water villas, but the pool of beach villas don't have jacuzzi seats, unless they have changed them...

The Villa was great at AK, the only thing I didn't like is that the bathroom floor is really slippery and dangerous, you can fall easily with just a drop, be careful and out towel son it...

Edited: 06 August 2014, 12:19
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Put towels on it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! I think I want to change my mind!

Thank you for the advice, Maria. I could be wrong about the jacuzzi jets, but some people have mentioned it in the reviews.

I saw a picture of them here, but maybe these are just the lights?

krystalvoyages.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/0…