We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Choice Dilema

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Island Choice Dilema

Hi

Was wondering if anyone could help me....

After months of research and good tips I got from looking at this forum, we settled on Vilamendhoo as our resort choice mainly due to the good house reef, good diving and adults only section (chose a Jacuzzi Beach Villa) Our holiday was booked and paid for (through Thomas Cook) and I received an email on Monday to say that the resort can no longer accept our booking as they have overbooked the island!

I have been given a couple of alternatives and I am unsure as to what to do....

These are the options we have been given:

Medhufushi

Filitheyo (potentially a deluxe villa but at the moment it may be a superior villa)

Chaaya Beach Ellaidhoo (beach bungalow)

Stay at Vilamendhoo but in a beach villa

Has anyone been to these resorts that could give me some advice?

We are a married couple in our early thirties looking to have a relaxed holiday. We are active people and love snorkeling / diving so having a good house reef is important to us. We enjoy having a couple of drinks in the evening so a nice pool / bar area would be great

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Choice Dilema

The BVs on Vilamendhoo are very nice :-)

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Choice Dilema

From this options i think I'd go to Vila also: medhu doesn't a house reef, so if it is important for you, it is out, the reef of Fili is worse and many people like it, but it isn't an island that I specially like, one friend of mine was there in her first (and only) time to Maldives and it wasn't something special for her, so I think that is quite important, as the first time is amazing for everyone, I would never go to Ellaidhoo as I can't accept an island without almost beach, ls there is only an option left, unless you pay something else and can get a better island... I guess there aren't jacuzzi water Villa, are there? As they should upgrade you...

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Choice Dilema

"I received an email on Monday to say that the resort can no longer accept our booking as they have overbooked the island!"

That is ridiculous, how on Earth does that happen, poor management...?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island Choice Dilema

Exactly - so poor!! we booked over 2 months ago, I have the resort confirmation and everything! Not sure they can even do that?

Thanks for the responses DarrylPaula and Maria, I appreciate the advice

Edited: 08 August 2014, 16:48
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
330 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island Choice Dilema

I would try an online agent and see what they come up with , I might be wrong but booking through TC you have probably paid top dollar. TC should refund you as the problem isn't your fault.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Island Choice Dilema

Good advice, get the full refund and email some recommended agents on here, they will almost certainly be a much better price and they can give some good suggestions and check availability

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Island Choice Dilema

I think the overwhelming response will be to go for Vila.

I haven't been but I have been to Chaaya Ellaidhoo 3 times. Maria is right is doesn't have much beach and it does have 2 sets of defences, both offputting aspects to most. But as a diver and snorkeller the reef is very good - we have dived the house reef 24/7 and still not exhausted all it has to offer. I would be the first to say Ellaidhoo isn't the prettiest island but I would be unhappy about booking a resort which has already let me down once - although I believe Vila has a past history of overbooking - at least their JBVs.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g2095767-i25082-…

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Island Choice Dilema

I agree with Heather that my first thinking would be to forget about Vila, I don't like that, but unfortunately we all know some islands work with overbooking, specially Vila and Meeru.

When are you supposed to leave? I would try that they upgrade you to a water villa, because usually when there is overbooking, they upgrade you or compensate in any way... If not, they should offer you Veligandu, as it is a resort of the group and though it has worse snorkelling, it is a better resort. And this offering should be made by Vila, who is the one who made overbooking... Some people who has arrived there with overbooking has been offered Ranveli (too basic and in need of refurb), a cruise or Veli, so ask for Veli, if you are happy with a better resort though worse reef. And be sure if it the overbooking is for the whole stay or just a part of it.

South Wales
Level Contributor
928 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Island Choice Dilema

When do you go?? If it's a bit of a way off I would get my money back and go with another agent - try PurelyMaldives as a start as Richard will give you some sound advice as to what suits your needs - you shouldn't have to go where TC want you to go - bloody cheek!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Island Choice Dilema

Thank you so much for all your responses, I really appreciate it. Ive been in touch with Purely Maldives who have been so helpful (I am able to get a full refund from Thomas Cook)

Purely Maldives have given me the option of Angaga. Has anyone been there and could recommend? Or should I rather cancel our holiday for this year and postpone to next year when there is better availability?