We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
272 reviews
Save Topic
FAQ on diving in the Maldives

I'm not necessarily volunteering for this, but I just wondered if we should have an FAQ on this after reading a recent 1-star review of ProDivers (Kuredu). The charges and the questioning of Maldivian diving regulations (mandatory dive computer in this case) were main highlights.....

Even if we just have the official link to the Maldives regulations in the FAQ it may be helpful to have this in order to refer new diving queries from new members to this? What do you think?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,196 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Great idea , and for someone like us who are always threatening to take our diving course it would be a great starting point .

We are lucky to have some very competent divers on the forum .

Darryl

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Diving in the Maldives has never been cheap , especially if you only do single dives .. But looking at the ProDivers price list I don't get the maths

prodivers.com/download/Kuredu_English_Pricel…

Each qualified diver would pay $59 for the dive including mask , fins , snorkel, $20 for full kit inc the computer and $16 for the boat trip which is $380 total

The non-qualified divers most expensive choice is to to a discover dive at $89 which includes all kit and a boat trip .. This totals $513 . This is not cheap say compared to Egypt or the Med but a lot cheaper than other islands dive prices.

I don't see how they make $650 as in the review

The $5 charged for the computer hire is hardly worth an argument in my opinion . All Maldives diving from a boat is drift and pick up . It involves multi-level depths and a dive computer showing no deco limits ( NDL ) is a must again in my opinion .

Maybe a bit of research on the ProDivers website would have been prudent before they went ..

Edited: 09 August 2014, 09:59
Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Sorry .. The total is $469 for all five of them

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

I think it is a good idea Lyn.

In have just seen the list of prices of Kuredu and it is similar lt what i have seen, except for the fact that the courses and equipment rent is cheaper... I will read that review...

Anyway I have only dived a few times, I am not an expert as others...

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

What's the date of that review please?.... Just read a bunch of 1 and 2 star reviews chuckling at management response . The guest is always wrong lol

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Its a review of Pro Divers Kuredu and not under Kuredu itself - copied below

“Rip-off Charges”

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 8 August 2014 NEW

For ONE dive only, Pro Divers sought to charge us $100, including kit hire, which included the 'obligatory' hire of a dive computer. I challenged the need to hire a computer to be told that it was a legal requirement under Maldivian law to have one on a dive. Really? I later checked this out and could find no such requirement whatsoever! We were a family of four qualified divers and one non-qualified and the resort wished to charge us $650 dollars in total for one dive! Now I've dived in many places around the world and have never been presented with such extortionate fees for a single dive. I pointed this out to a take-it-or-leave-it, couldn't care less attitude, so naturally, we left it with disappointment.

Secondly, don't forget your mask, snorkel and fins or you'll be charged $9 a day (no half-day opportunities) to hire well-used kit, if you wish to go snorkelling.

Visited July 2014

Was this review helpful? Yes

Oh and a good idea Lyn (although how many actually read the faqs unless directed to them?)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Have not been to Kuredu for many years , but they did have a scheme for repeat visitors/divers with a year on year % reduction in charges, so if you went on a yearly basis and dived regularly it became very attractive. I recall roughly working it out at the time . Does this still hold true? I guess if they hike the base price of everything then it may not be that appealing overall. maybe they've scrapped it ? any one know ?

Nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Yes they do

prodivers.com/maldives-diving/…

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FAQ on diving in the Maldives

Prodivers are usually very highly rated, you're going to get idiots rating 1 star on pretty much anything on trip advisor, people who aren't capable of understanding how to rate something fairly.

Likewise you get people who rate services 5 star, when others wouldn't think it was that great, it's all relative. Very rarely people read the FAQs before posting but it's worth doing so you can point other people to them when they ask.

If we were all honest nothing would get 5 star, there's always something that could be better.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 23:24