We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

Dorset
Level Contributor
973 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

Strange question I know after having been regulars in the Maldives, but have we been missing out by not snorkelling at dawn or dusk?

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
609 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

Yes!! At dawn you may get the chance to see Sharks hunting and at dusk you get to see things like feather stars coming out. My favourite time is at sunrise.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

One of my best snorkelling sunrise trips was swimming with a Manta for 30+ minutes the whole length of Vilamendhoo. Amazing to be alone in the water with such a beautiful animal.

What is also good is to buy a divelight (cheap one) and do a little bit of snorkelling in the dark. No need to go deep or far, but you will see completely different animals etc. And indeed the occassionally shark hunting.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

I'm excited to go snorkelling every morning next month.

I find it difficult with the evening because you need to get ready for dinner etc, would not want to miss dinner for anything!

Someone on vilamendhoo eurodivers posted some DOLPHINS swimming on the house reef recently, that would be so awesome.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,573 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

Hi LBL

Definitely just after sunrise and just before sunset :-)

London
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

Dawn - Per Allie's comment. Also, the water is at it's calmest (the warmth of the sun hasn't stirred the air yet) and therefore the water is at it's clearest (sediment hasn't been stirred up).

Middle of the day - The sun is overhead and shining down brightly so the colourful fish are highlighted strongly. This is the best time to do lagoon snorkeling when the white sand reflects the bright sunlight and all of the fish shine dazzlingly.

Dusk - As with dawn, this is also a popular active/hunting time for the bigger animals.

Nighttime - Go with a guide and make sure you are safe, but seeing the reef at night with a torch (and ideally a UV torch as well) is an amazing experience. Lots of animals are especially active at night (eg. nurse sharks). The corals are all puffed out like popcorn as the coral polyps come out to feed on the phytoplankton. Turn the lights out and enjoy the firefly-like display of photoluminence.

In short, any time around the clock is a great time to snorkel in the Maldives.

Bruce, Maldives Complete

www.maldivescomplete.com

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

Nice post :-)

Dorset
Level Contributor
973 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

All sounds good advice. Not sure about dusk though as it will clash with the sundowner gin and tonics...... More likely we'll set the alarm for a dawn snorkel and then do the night one off the dhoni. Roll on next month and athuruga!

england
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

I find the best time to go is whenever I get hot.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

I like late afternoon, find loads more puffers out then! Early morning usually lovely and calm though.

10. Re: What's the best time of day to go snorkelling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 06:16