We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

I hope this volcano behaves itself before we are due to fly :-0

Any thoughts ?

Darryl

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

I've been reading a bit about it. Do not fear... It's very unlikely this will cancel flights.

The rumbles caused are a fair distance from the main volcano and it's highly unlikely to produce the same light ash that it did last time.

Last time it was a freak occurrence. It was very light ash, no rain to clear it out and wind that carried it strongly for about 3 weeks.

Not only that, but previously, planes were not allowed to fly with ANY ASH in the sky. Now they allow flying to take place with 'some' ash.

If it does erupt, the most likely outcome will be thick ash in a concentrated area that will be too heavy to travel so far and rain will likely clear it.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

As a result of the last ash cloud in 2010, me and Mrs Dibble got "stuck" in Sydney for 2 extra weeks holiday. Terrible shame!!

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

We lost our holiday due to Eyjafjallajökull (Distant King volcano?). The problem was then that there was no agreeable tolerance levels by airlines, plane manufacturers and engine makers as to what is a safe level to fly through. The experience of BA 9 shows that it is a serious issue and while we were disappointed that we were not going to the Maldives it was understandable why the air space was closed. This is another reason why we only book package holidays to the Maldives. Kuoni phoned us up, asked if we wanted to cancel and the full amount was in our account within days. We ended up doing our holiday 6 months later. Both trips were booked to Biyadhoo.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 19:44
Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

Hi Officer Dibble

Hope you are well - haven't seen you patrolling these parts in ages - good to see you back.

Hi Darryl - even Tour Operators get p'd off when this sort of thing happens - I have a trip to Sri Lanka planned for early October - fingers crossed the volcano turns into a damp squib.

Best wishes

Richard from PurelyMaldives

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,262 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

Hi Richard

I hope its OK for your trip too and anyone els who is going around that time ;-)

Hi OD ;-) nice to see you

6. Re: Ash Cloud !!!Gulp :-0

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 06:16