We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget trip - Where to stay

Leidschendam, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Budget trip - Where to stay

My girlfriend and I will go to the Maldives for about a week. We will go mid October, though we haven't booked the flight yet.

I was thinking of staying 3 days on Maafushi and am trying to find another island a little further away, but it has to be reached by public ferry as we are on a budget and the seaplane transfers are just too expensive for us and then 1 night in Male before we fly out.

I hope someone could introduce a really nice affordable place. We probably don't want to spend more than $200 a day and if possible closer to $100 a day for the 2 of us. That is including activities!

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,978 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget trip - Where to stay

Hi

You may find most islands have a minimum stay policy of around 6 nights. I would recommend going to 1 island especially if you want to go on a sea plane transfer .

Darryl

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget trip - Where to stay

The 6 night rule may not apply to guest house accommodation though.

But I would agree that a 7 day stay is perhaps a bit short to be thinking of island hopping. You will likely have to travel back through Male (even if you are not using local ferries) and then out again unless the local islands lie near each other.

Guraidhoo is near Maafushi and has a number of guest houses, its just a little further south, and you may be able to arrange a speedboat transfer between the 2 islands with your chosen guest houses thus cutting down transfer time. But then you say your preference is to use local ferries so that option may not be in budget.

Other than that have a look at the local ferry timetable to see which islands might be on the same route - they can be found here

http://mtcc.com.mv/transporthome.aspx

Have a look at the provincial ferry pdf and note that ferries do not operate on Fridays.

Leidschendam, The...
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget trip - Where to stay

We're probably just gonna go to 1 island now and then 1 nights around Male before we leave. Probably 4 full days on an island, but not sure yet where. I was hoping to find some other island then Maafushi, but it is quite hard to find the right island. Looking for a local island that we could get a local ferry to . Not too touristy and not to expensive. Hope to get a few suggestions

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget trip - Where to stay

Regulars here don't go to local islands and guest houses, so unless you are fortunate and someone appear, it would be better that you contact a tripadvisor reviewer of an island that you are interested in.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 20:21
5. Re: Budget trip - Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 05:15