We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Hi all,

After much deliberation i've managed to reduce my shortlist to only 3 resorts. The idea is to balance the best house reef with the most child friendly resort. Never having been to the Maldives it would be great if you could lend me advice on your experiences of the below resorts with regards the best house reef of the 3 and most suitable for a 20 month old toddler.

The resorts are as follows.

1) Vilamendhoo

2) Kuramathi

3) Filitheyo

Many thanks in anticipation.

Stefan

London, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

The best house reef from that list is definitely Vilamendhoo.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Have you looked at Centara Grand?

John

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Hi

Out of your list I agree with JPM ,Vilamendhoo.

Also take a look at Lily Beach it's family friendly and next door to Vilamendhoo in the SAA ,It's also got a good reef

Darryl

Indonesia
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Hi, I agree with Lily Beach if you haven't checked it yet - it can get crowded there though depending on the season. Same with Centara Granda but I'm not too crazy about their house reef. Haven't been to Vilamendhoo so I can't comment on their house reef but I've visited Kuramathi and really liked the place. They're really very popular with families.

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
579 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

I went to Kuramathi when my son was 2 - for me the island was too large. Of your list Vilamendoo has the best reef, but there are others out there with good house reefs and family facilities. When are you looking to go and what is your budget?

Edited: 26 August 2014, 11:15
Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

I have been to all 3. I would probably say Filitheyo would be the least suitable for a toddler, but probably my favourite from your list. Vilamendhoo has the best reef from those three followed by Filitheyo.

Kuramathi is a good choice if you want to dine at various venues. The three islands are very different and all have their own quirks. Filitheyo does not have a great AI plan if that is important? for example cocktails and bottled water is at extra cost.

Stourbridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Of your list Vilamendhoo as other posters have stated

Sheffield, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

Hi all,

Thank you for your time and help. Some great suggestions. I have looked at Lily Beach and it looks fabulous but unfortunately it is above my budget this time. I am looking at places between 300USD and 400USD per night. If it was my wife and I we would be looking for somewhere a little smaller and quaint but with our son I figure we need somewhere with a bit more entertainment for him. The manta ray and whale shark excursions at Vilamendhoo were of particular interest.

I have checked out Centara Grand John but from memory I think it may be a little close to Male. I'm also after the seaplane experience and travelling a fair distance from the airport. (please correct me if I have it's location wrong)

In terms of natural beauty which of the 3 islands is the most attractive?

Thank you

Stefan

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

You are getting Centara Grand confused with Centara Ras Fushi. Ras Fushi is very close to Male but Grand is in the South Ari atoll. It doesn't have a lot of natural beauty left as it's top heavy with water bungalows. You'll also find it very expensive.

I loved Vila, both for snorkelling and for the huge colony of fruit bats in the tall palm trees. They would start flying around at about at 4.pm.

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which of these resorts has the best house reef?

I am not sure if manta and whaleshark trips are really a good option with a 20 months old kid: they are snorkelling trips, so I guess the toddler should stay at the boat... The baby will also be too young for any Kind of kids club or entertainment.