We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CPDK or CPBB or somewhere else?

Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
CPDK or CPBB or somewhere else?

Hi everyone

We are due to get married in April next year and I've always wanted to go to the Maldives. Both Coco Palm islands look lovely and we're struggling to decide.

Bodu hithi appears to be more modern and appeals to my fiancee. Dhuni Kolhu feels more rustic and is cheaper even if all-inclusive.

We both wanted a relatively small island that would be quieter and allow us to spend some time together. We're not interested in diving (maybe snorkelling). We would prefer a beach villa with maybe a pool.

Heart says CPBH

Head says CPDK

Which would you choose? Or would you recommend a different island?

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,074 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CPDK or CPBB or somewhere else?

Now there is only one Coco Palm: Dhuni Kolhu..

Haven't been at none, but for me it is easy, I would go to BH, as I don't like at all Dhuni Kolhu villas, there is much erosion and I wouldn't risk to stay at a beach Villa without beach... BH is much better I think as a whole experience... By the way, CPDK's reef is poor and the one at CBH is quite good.

Most people are happy with CPDK, and being your first time in Maldives you will love it.

For other options: budget? Length of stay? What are your interests in the island?

Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CPDK or CPBB or somewhere else?

Currently will pay close to £6000 for 8 nights at BH. We want a beach villa with pool.

Have been offered £5000 for 8 nights at DK all inclusive.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
398 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CPDK or CPBB or somewhere else?

We've been to CPDK twice 2003 & 2012 - never been to CPBH.

What Mariaeugene says about erosion is true, the beach moves around the island, but I would disagree about being in a room with no beach. When we returned in 2012 we were allocated a room with no beach at high tide. We asked to be moved and were offered an alternative room immediately, or one of our choosing (within the same the type, Beach Villa) if we were prepared to wait a day or two for it to be available.

The beach erodes because unlike some other islands there are no sea walls, jetties or other ugly things to prevent the natural movement. Its really impossible to tell which part of the island is best until you arrive since even from season to season it can differ. They will move you without question, if you ask to. Be aware though that there are sandbags dotted around the island to protect areas.

I would also agree that the coral is not great. There is though an abundance of fish, as many as I have seen on the other 3 islands we've visited (Kuramathi & Makunudu). Best spots are where the Beach Villas border the Deluxe Beach Villas.

What we love about CPDK is that its a proper no shoes/no news island and even when at full capacity it doesn't feel busy. All the villas are large and detached and mostly very private. Its a particularly eco positive island, turtles regularly lay their eggs on the beach. They're protected while they incubate and you can even join the release team if you're lucky to be there at the right time.

From my experience CPDK is not the plushest, or the poshest, its not overly modern. It is rustic, charming, welcoming and, in my opinion, more like what the Maldives should be - no shoes, no news, no TV's and stereos in the rooms, plain and simple.

Px

4. Re: CPDK or CPBB or somewhere else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 06:15