We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monarch flight to Male

Surrey
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Monarch flight to Male

Hiya

I've just been catching up on all the recent posts about the dreaded Monarch flight to the Maldives!

We are off to Athuruga on 3rd December and whilst we are lucky enough to have upgraded to their so-called Premium Economy, from what you've all said - it's still pretty dire. In fact, I actually just phoned Kuoni to see if there is any chance of switching to Emirates but sadly, it's too late.

Anyway, stuck as we are with this nightmare airline, I was wondering if anyone could advise if there are any premium economy seats that are better than others? I seem to remember reading that the first row had less room than those behind (although I guess you can balance that with not having anyone reclining into your lap!).

Activegirl - you said that there were spare seats in the middle on your recent flight that had more leg room? Which row were they in?

I'm probably clutching at straws as I'm sure they are all much of a muchness, but I thought I'd ask just in case....

Finally, has anyone been allowed to prebook their actual seats in advance or is it just done on arrival at the airport?

Thanks all

Cait

spain
Level Contributor
812 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monarch flight to Male

cait,

As you know most people would rather have warts than fly with Monarch ... BUT its not too bad up the pointy end of the plane and you are going to one of the most fantastic places in the world...

So whilst its something to think about I would not worry too much if I was you.

sunshinebob

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Hi Moose

It is the very front of Premium that has the most leg room, not the other way round. The window seats at the front does as well in Premium. We had the very front window seats which were nice only for the individual tv's not to work for us. Prebooking not allowed for Premium, but arrive at the airport 3 hrs before to get what you want, or as soon as check-in opens. A bit of advice, if your TV don't work, demand (be pushy as they will try to talk you out of it!) to transfer to a seat that has a workable tv before you take off, we only wished to have done this if we had realised there were spare seats, before those in economy tried to upgrade and bag them and believe me they really do this as soon as they get on.

Anyway Premium IS better than cattle class where you need very short legs....

have a good time in Arthuruga ............. activegirl

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monarch flight to Male

The seats are pre-booked when you book premium cabin so no need to get to the airport early (as we did!!!). On the way out we had 2A and 2B - these are the seats you want!!

You get more legroom than other rows as there is no one in front of you. We tried to get these on the way back as well but were told they were booked already and it was not possible to change the seats.

We did specify that we wanted a window and an aisle. You can only request this 3 months before departure, so we called up as soon as we could and requested these. We had a window and an aisle on both legs of the journey.

The seats are definitely better than economy, so feel very happy you aren't in there! It looked like easyjet and while this is sufficient for a couple of hours, I certainly wouldn't want to be that cramped for 10 hours. Plus you have to pay for all drinks, even water, in economy, whereas everything is included in Premium. This should be standard on any long haul flight in my opinion.

We found the flight fine, no problems, but then I'm sure that was because we were in Premium. People in economy did not seem happy getting off at the other end.

Surrey
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Thank you all - I'm feeling much better about the whole thing now!

I've phoned monarch and put a request in for the front row window and aisle seats but will get to the airport extra early just in case!

Roll on 3rd December......

Cait

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
85 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Hi Moose, we are looking at going to this island next year and i hear the rooms are being refurnished.if you dont mind getting a few photos of the inside of the new rooms i would be very interested in looking at them.have a great time and look forward to reading your review.michelle

Surrey
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Hi Michelle

No problem at all - will take some photos and post when we get back.

Cait

Stanford-Le-Hope...
Level Contributor
85 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Hi,Thanks so much,have a great holiday.

Look forward to seeing how you got on.Enjoy,i am envious!

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Hi ive just returned yesterday from Sun island and will post a review soon after doing the laundry etc lolol

Monarch>? well it aint changed at all in my eyes.Went from Gatwick and once the crew got through the general chat like oh!! we must get together cos we havnt had a good party for ages !!!

this being with the relief crew at Manchester, we finally headed in the direction of Male.

We had premium seats which were at the front so we had a little more legroom.(agianst the baulkhead).

Food was good for Monarch , but the rest was so so long haul .

Came home with my travel.Seats in premium were excellent in a 2 2 2 .Only 5 rows in premium.Food was discusting and very small amounts.I was amazed that they charged for snacks though off the trolley.Crew were totally different to Monarch, as in they were friendly and efficient and actually on time !! .

Monarch delayed an hour on way out.

Will write more in my review.Jet lagg has got me hence the spelling !! lolol

cfc

suffolk, england
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Have just got back from the Maldives via the dreaded Monarch.

Having read the reviews before I went, I can honestly say I was dreading it.

However it wasn't that bad. We were in economy. The seat pitch length was comfortable, my hubby who is 6ft was fine, even when the lady in front put her seat down. It's the seat width that we found the problem, when meals came round it is very snug when it comes to actually moving your arms and eating!

We found on the way back that there seemed to be more room on the middle of the plane rather than on the edges of the plane.

The staff were fine, very friendly, the entertainment was brilliant. The food was fine apart from the fact that in an 11 hour flight we only got 1 hot meal and then 1 sandwich meal!! I've never been on a long haul flight with such little food!!!!!

And just for the record, it's only alcoholic drinks you pay for in economy, water and soft drinks are free.

Surrey
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monarch flight to Male

Thanks for the last 2 posts - I guess the staff must have their good days and bad days!

Anyway, as it's getting closer, I'm so excited about the holiday, I've stopped worrying about the flight! I expect come sunday I'll be cursing it from the moment I get on the plane but it will all be worth it when we get to the other end!

I will post a review when I get back.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Moose