We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to the Maldives the first of February. The first 7 days of our journey (after a stint in Dubai, and any advice on what to do/where to go there is appreciated, especially as it will be the shopping festival then) will be at Huvafen Fushi. We are then wanting to go to Dhoni Mighili or Cocoa Island afterwards. Obviously DM is fabulous, but for $3000 per night! Is it really that wonderful? Our main problem is the amount of money spent. Our alternative (as everywhere else is booked) is Cocoa Island. Would also like any advice on which room to request/book? Loft suites have outdoor showers, but the 1 room suites seem nicer? Thanks! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

if you can afford dhoni mighili, I'd say definately go for it. It would be my top choice out of all the options in Maldives if I had that kind of budget.

My second choice would be renting the two bedroom villa on crystal clear waters of Cocoa Island, which would be in the same price range as Dhoni Mighili. The decor and interior design of the two bedroom villa looks MUCH more beautiful than one bedroom villa, and of course MUCH more spacious and private.

My third choice would be Coco Palm Kudahithi. All of these options are fantastic and $3000 / night. If it would make you feel better, I didn't even mention the Rania Experience which is $12000 per night. Sunset Water Villas on Hilton Rangali would be my fourth.

If you would not go for a 3000 / night option though, I personally think the one bed room villa is a very good option, if what you want is a quiet, calm, intimate desert island experince... I believe that Cocoa Island is one of the most romantic islands in Maldives, if not the most.

Hope you can find the place which suits you best.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

minty ..... depends what you want from your holiday. Do you snorkel? dive? Dhoni Mighili is the ultimate luxury in the Maldives, you have your own personal dhoni with a butler and the crew will take you wherever you want if you want to dive or snorkel. If you do neither then Cocoa Island would probably suit you best.

I have not been to either resorts so I can only go by hearsay.

.......... activegirl

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Hi, thanks for the input. My boyfriend and I are actually both divers and we will probably dive at least once per day. Do you suggest Cocoa Island for active divers? I assume everywhere in the Maldives caters to scuba.

$3000 is a bit out of budget, but still an option as we are thinking that since it is halfway around the world, might as well splurge. But is it really worth so much money? How much more fabulous can it be? Granted there are definitely less people and you do get your own dhoni, perhaps we are thinking about it too much.

Has anyone ever been to Island Hideaway?

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Cocoa Island caters for divers and I have always heard good reports. Take the deep dive quick overview which takes you up to 100ft. Snorkelling is good and teeming with sea life. The dhoni loft suite are popular but most of the guest seem to sunbathe by the pool whereas the one bedroom villas are better and a little more private and you have your own decking etc. Just a matter of personal choice and budget.

Regaring Island Hideaway, Sunshine Bob, who pops up on this forum now and again has been and he recommends it so hopefully he will see this post and put in his two cents worth or alternatively you can put a separate post for Sunshine Bob and I am sure he will be too glad to help.

............ activegirl

United States
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Financial considerations aside (not inconsequential in this case Smiles) this is totally a subjective call for whats important to you in a resort.

Personally for me it would be Dhoni Migili in a NY Minute!

First of all I would check around a bit more. I think you can do better than 3K a night (even in Feb.)

Second sometimes a picture speaks volumes. Maybe you have already seen these photos or similar ones but here are two satellite pictures of Dhoni Migili and Cocoa Island

Dhoni Migili

wikimapia.org/…1

Coca Island

wikimapia.org/…2

Two different kinds of resorts ... nothing wrong with either but they are definitely different. Dhoni Migili although more expensive seems a bit more rustic. No swimming pool, no water villas, only six bungalows on the entire island. If you want a swimming pool and more developed island then your decision is made for you. Personally for me you have a giant swimming pool already called the Indian Ocean.

It all really comes down to diving and romance and exclusiveness in my opinion.

Diving --- Dhoni Migili is in a better Atoll for diving than Cocoa is. Dhoni Migili gives you your own boat with bed room to use whenever you want and go and where ever you want within limits. You take your own dive master with you. So you get to talk to the dive master and figure out places to dive that appeal to you.

You are one of 6 couples on the island (23 rooms at Cocoa is not bad but its not the same as 6).

Dhoni Migili will contact you ahead of time and get things that are special to you. Get food that is special to you. Get booze that is special to you. You tell them when you want to eat where you want to eat and what you want to eat .. 24 hours a day. Cocoa Island is a wonderful place but they wont do that for you there.

Dhoni Migili ...

Dhoni Migili is quite frankly use to dealing with demanding rich people and they have a professional staff that knows how to do just that. Even if you are a nice undemanding rich person (smiles) it's always nice to be pampered by people who are very good at what they do.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Thank you both for your thoughts. We have researched both of theses properties to death but it is always nice to get someone else's perspective. Obviously DM is our first choice, it's just going to be tough handing over so much cash!

Also, has anyone ever used any of the Asian discount websites and if so has the outcome been good? We did find a cheaper rate for DM but I am a little hesitant as it is half the price! It seems too good to be true!?!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

If you are thinking that you are going to splurge as this is a one-off holiday for you you might need to re-think that. Many people probably thought they would go once and then keep on going so I would save some of the $3k a night, go to Cocoa and then go again, and again, and again!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Minty .... does sound a good deal..... just a thought, posting on the UAE/Dubai forum about the website as you would have more success from that forum. ......good luck!......... activegirl

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

sorry minty ... meant to say "post" not "posting" - bad english!

.......... activegirl

spain
Level Contributor
781 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dhoni Mighili vs Cocoa Island

Minty...

further to you request I am able to confirm that yes I have been to Island Hideaway.. I was there for a week in Feb (2006) and was very impressed..So much so that I have booked again for 2007. It was sublime , small enough to feel as if you were the only guests.. The place is run as if someone was overseeing your trip personally rather than catering for mass tourism...The butler service was perfect , the rooms are very private and well appointed , the attention to detail was second to none..

I have not been to DM but know people that have and they cant rate it highly enough.. I cant say if its any better that IH but its (a) different - because of the boat/villa thing and (b) much much dearer... My next trip to IH will run me $4000USD for seven nights (b&b) plus food ( Idont eat that much ) , Drink ( I do ) and the odd spa treatment for Mrs Sunshinebob and I... Its will end up about $7000 or $8000 USD for the whole stay... Thats a third of the price of DM... Is DM worth paying three times as much??? well that depends on your net worth I guess..

For me , I prefer five or six holidays a year , so I would rather spend my (hard earned) cash where I get a realistic level of value in a fantastic hotel/resort rather than mssive splurges of cash on one/two mega trips in places like DM or Sandy Lane.

Should you have questions please fire away....

sunshinebob.