We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa direct from embassy?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Visa direct from embassy?

I’m planning to travel across Europe to Russia then taking the trans-mongolian railway to Mongolia and then on to China and then Vietnam.

I’m aware that I need a visa for all of these countries which I’ll need to get before setting off from the UK.

Is it possible to simply go to London and go to the Mongolian, Chinese and Vietnamese embassies and get the visas there and then? Maybe even all in one day?

I’m away from the UK at the moment and I’ll only have about a week or two back there before setting off so I’d like to get the visas sorted as quickly as possible. I have zero experience of getting visitor visas so getting all of these seems quite daunting.

If anyone could offer any advice or experiences of getting visas direct from the embassies I’d be very grateful.

Many thanks.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa direct from embassy?

Are you from the UK or Canada?

Visas from Vietnam and Mongolia are fairly straightforward. China and Russia not so much. It's possible to get your Chinese visa in Ulaanbataar, but it is a lengthier process than in London.

There's no chance of you doing them all in one day. The express service is typically 24 hours, and you need to leave your passport with them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa direct from embassy?

I am from the UK.

Yeah I found the 24 hours express service which it says is only £20 more than the regular service so that's good.

I've been told that I can apply for the Vietnam one and pick it up on entry providing I arrive by plane (which I will be).

It looks as though getting the Russian and Chinese visas will be keeping me in the UK for a little longer than I'd wanted though.

3. Re: Visa direct from embassy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 06:17