We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for Mongolia and the Gobi in June

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
158 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for Mongolia and the Gobi in June

I'll be in the Gobi in June and am wondering about the day and evening/night temperatures. Will several layers be enough or should I plan on a heavy jacket as well? Will appreciate hearing from anyone who's been there around that time.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for Mongolia and the Gobi in June

I traveled in Mongolia one June (UB, Gobi, Kharakhorum, etc.) and I wished I had packed more clothes with me. The weather in June can vary a lot, so you should be prepared for any kind of weather. The warmest days in Gobi were around 25°C ( 77 °F) but the nights were chilly. If you're staying in a yurt I recommend taking warm pajamas with you. Other parts of Mongolia can be colder - some days in Kharakhorum and Hustain Nuur park were so cold we were really freezing (5°C, 43°F). You should pack different types of clothes with you. Take a windproof and waterproof jacket, a fleece/thick hoodie, long-sleeved shirts and long underwear (for nights) with you. In case I travel to Mongolia again I will definitely take a jacket with a fleece lining of it with me.

You should be fine with shorts and t-shirts in the Gobi, but weather there is also unpredictable, so don't count on it. I also recommend taking good hiking shoes with you, as well as, a scarf to cover your nose and mouth in case of an unexpected sandstorm. Don't forget a sunhat and you're good to go. Mongolia is an amazing country - enjoy! :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
158 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for Mongolia and the Gobi in June

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I will take your advice.

Ulaanbaatar...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for Mongolia and the Gobi in June

take clothes as much as u can........ Cuz in gobi, where is hot day and cold night....

4. Re: Clothing for Mongolia and the Gobi in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 07:16