We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

Hyderabad, India
1 post
Save Topic
Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

I will be joining for working in an Austalian company having its operations in Mongolia (UB) and I am from India. I am pretty new this place and I head its chillest part of the world. Can some body advise me on what mandate precautions considering the coldest environment to be taken while especially living in SUKHABAATAR, UB. I am totally new to the very very cold environments.

Ulaanbaatar...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

Hi,

The temperature through winter varies from -20 to -35 celsius so is pretty chilly. However, the air is quite arid so most of the time the cold doesn't feel too bad.

You'll need a few things though:

1. A really good pair of thick boots (not Doc Martins as too thin) with excellent grip as the streets and pavements become very icy in winter. I'd recommend a pair of army surplus boots if you can find them as they should be good quality, functional and quite cheap.

2. A good, multi-layered jacket preferably fur lined if you want the warmest possible but if you don't agree with fur then an inner fleece layer is essential.

3. A warm hat.

4. Thermal trousers and vests to wear underneath everything.

5. You can buy all of this stuff in Ulaanbaatar if necessary

I think that you'll be fine as you probably won't be spending much time outdoors anyway, most people try to avoid it if possible.

I would also just point out that the air pollution can get quite bad in the city in winter as people in the her districts burn anything to keep warm and, being surrounded by mountains, the smoke has nowhere to go. Some people like to wear surgical face masks but this is a personal choice and, personally, I've never been overly bothered by the air quality. I'm not sure how effective those masks really are anyway and if you're living at Sukhbaatar square (nice part of town by the way) then you'll be as far from the sources of pollution as possible.

Feel free to message me if you need any further help or guidance and good luck in the new job!

Chris

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
24 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

For the winter you may go to local Narantuul market in Ulaanbaatar with you Mongolian coworkers and try to find a pair of really warm boots made from leather and dog fur. Quite bulky but if you're about to spend a winter in Sukhbaatar province everything the warmer and thicker is better.

As for jacket don't be tricked with some thin and lightweight jackets as they may look warm but in reality not.

Always wear a pair of wool socks with natural (not fake Chinese) sheep wool boot insulation.

If it's summer that's damn hot even for you Indian guy! ;)

Ulaanbaatar...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

If you need guide or anything +97695483578 here's my number, just give me a call. I'm a freshman at National University of Mongolia. I would love to help you while I'm improving my English.

4. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 14:15
Kalgoorlie-Boulder...
Level Contributor
27 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

If you arriving in Mongolia prior to winter - buy everything you need in UB. That way you know it will stand the cold. Buying cold weather clothes in a place that isn't that cold - sometimes the cold weather gear isn't as good as it's cracked up to be. My cousin (Australian) spent a fortune on winter clothing prior to taking up a two year mining contract in Mongolia - only to find his ultra light, fabulous modern clothing was still freezing him while the local clothing was warm as toast.

6. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 14:15
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
90 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

Cold weather is dry weather. Buy a humidifier for you room. It will help you sleep easier at night from the very dry air and the addition of the heater will dry the air even more. Depending on what part of India you are from this will be difficult. Invest in a Neti Pot for when you sinuses get clogged or dry.

Wind and Cold are a double punch combination. Exposed skin can crack and freeze. Layers are your best friend. Don't invest in slim fitting coats that can't be layered underneath. Socks and gloves of a good cotton and or wool do well as thin socks will let your feet freeze. You will get to know that little sliver of your neck that is exposed to the raw air if you don't have a good scarf.

You'll have a steep learning curve but buy as you go if you can. Ask your local friends in UB to take you to the markets for the stuff. But at least have some long sleeve shirts and sweaters you can layer before you go.

8. Re: Hello Friends- Need your guidance in Mongolia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16