We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination suggestions needed ~

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Destination suggestions needed ~

I am a Western man who has visited Paksitan several times. I want to return in July, but to see somewhere different. I have been to all the major cities, khi, lhe, pesh, isb, pindi....

I am thinking to visit Kashmir, or Chitral, or Hunza. BUT, I am not a trekker or mountain climber. I prefer to find an interesting town with a nice hotel and stay there for 5 or 6 days getting to know the locals and the culture. I might consider a 2 or 3 hour trek returning to my hotel for the night.

Any suggestions? Thanks !!

Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

Hi,

It seems that you've discovered the southern Pakistan but you've not got the chance to explore the mountainous regions.

July is hot in the south so you could visit the mentioned areas like Hunza or Chitral, pretty scenic and natural.

Hunza, from Rawalpindi,Pirwadhai bus terminal you could take a bus, coach to Gilgit, some 16 to 18 hrs on KKH.

There are flights to Gilgit from Islamabad airport too.

Once you're in Gilgit, it's 3 more hours to Hunza, you could explore Karimabad and Passu, very beautiful places.

Chitral, it takes some10 to 12 hrs from Peshawar to Chitral by road.

There are flights from Islamabad and Peshawar for Chitral daily.

Kalash valleys like Romboor are nice places to stay for a while and take some walks.

Very happy travels,

Imran SChah

Photos of Mountains,valleys,cities of Pakistan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imranthetrekker

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

Imran, Thanks !!!

You presented very excellent suggestions. How do I pick the best? I will be in Islb and can fly to either Chitral or Gilgit. PIA flies to both?

Which is best for staying in one hotel for a week and hanging out - Gilgit, Chitral, or Hunza? Which place has the friendliest people ?

Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

Hi again,

You could fly from Islamabad to Chitral or Giglit-Baltistan, there are daily flights but they are subject to weather.

It takes some 16 to 18 hrs on KKH to Gilgit from Rawalpindi there are coaches and buses, run by NATCO.

Chitral is some 12,14 hrs drive through Dir and Lowari pass.

You could go to Gilgit-Baltistan from Chitral, there are NATCO buses from there over Shandoor pass 3800 m and lake.

The people of Chitral and Gilgit-Baltistan are very friendly and warm wecloming and these are very safe destinations.

I welcome your queries,

Imran SChah

The mountains of Karakoram

Hunza Valley
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

If you are not trekker then for you the beaitiful hunza valley be good.. you can enjoy there

London, United...
Level Contributor
126 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

How do I get to Hunza from Lahore or Peshawar?

Hunza Valley
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

Its very simple to get into Hunza or Chitral,

From Lahore,

Lahore to perbadai in Rawilpindi then to Gilgit or Hunza

There are many bus service to Rwailpndi

1, Daewoo - From Kalma Chowk to Rawilpindi

2, Naizi - From Bakar Mandi to G-9 Islamabad then by taxi to Perbadai

3, Skyways From Bakar mandi to Sadiqabad then to Perbadi

From Perbadai to Gilgit or Hunza you can chooese any bus.. NATCO is best the others

Enjoy the Hunza valley!

Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

Salut mon ami,

From Peshawar you can move to Chitral, 12 hrs drive and after visiting Chitral, you could take a coach to Mastuj some 100 km, 4 hrs drive, overnight stay at

Tourist Garden with Jaffar

Next day take the early NATCO bus to Gilgit, 14 hrs across Shandoor pass 3750 m.

From Gilgit, HUnza is only 3 hrs on KKH, upto Karimabad.

Or Take a NATCO bus from Rawalpindi Pirwadhai bus terminal some 16 to 18 hrs to Gilgit on KKH and then vice versa.

I wish you very happy travels,

Imran Schah

The pohotos of great Pakistan

London
Level Contributor
115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

a few suggestions;

1. Chitral is a laid back and lovely town and there is no real need to go trekking there. You can fly from Peshawar (confirm day before); driving via the Lowari pass is a bit off these days bcz of Taliban I think. You can visit the Kalash Valleys which are near Chitral, as is a nice small place called Garam Chashma.

2. Hunza is lovely; really lovely. Try to stay at the Eagles Nest in Duiker above Karimabad for at least a few days; the views are excellent, but I would also recomend stay in Karimabad or Aliabad so you can just discover these smallish towns. Hunza valley is essentially a series of small towns near each other, so you can easily spend a week discovering different places. However, it would be a shame to go there and NOT do any trekking; even just a few one day valley walks if you are not into hard walking/trekking.

3. I once spent a nice few days in south Punjab; Multan, Bahawalpur, Uch Sharif. There is nowhere really to stay in Uch, but its near BWPR and very nice. It will be very hot in south Punjab through to october.

4. another very nice place is Abbottabad. Its cool in July and there are lovely hills all around to go and discover and its a nice town itself. the hotels there are not great though- only one or two near the bus station.

U.K
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

Man reading this forum is making my pulse race I have seen (on TV) how beautiful Pakistan is but on two recent visits to the Gujarkhan ( near Rawlpindi ) I have not been able to tear myself away from the family and their constant worry of being taken hostage if I went out of their sights alas I returened to UK frustrated . I am palnning to go again in July taking my wife and two daughters and want to show them the Hunza Vally (from the info in this forum it appears that this would be the best place to go for novice trekers)

Let me get this straight from Pindi it's possible to get coach to Hunza valley then when you are there how do you get around?? I sther Plenty of pla\ces to stay ??

I apreciate the help I look forward to your reply I want my children to be inspired by Pakistans's natural beauty going in July because of School holidays it will be too hot in the Gujarkhan area and I want the kids enjoy the experience . Aslam and lots of love to you .

To he guy who started the topic do you want to get together with me email me nasar.ibrahim@gamil.com

10. Re: Destination suggestions needed ~

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2012, 11:34