We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English female travelling

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
English female travelling

Hi

I wonder if anyone can be kind enough to offer some advice.

My boyfriend who has been living in the UK for the last 6 years, has had to go back home to Pakistan for a few months. We hope that he will be back in the UK early next year but in the meantime I'm wondering how I will cope without seeing him. We have talked about me going out to visit him there and I think he would like me too but I have some questions regarding this.

I would be looking to fly into Islamabad and he would meet me at the airport. He and his family live in Muzaffarabad but I think he feels it would be better for us to stay in Islamabad. We are in a serious relationship and infact hope to marry sometime next year. His family know about me that I'm a white English woman and are ok with our relationship.

Pakistan is in the news alot and as I'm in a relationship with a Pakistani guy I'm very aware of the sitution as well as local customs etc. Is it an absolutely crazy idea to be considering this at the moment? My boyfriend would be with me at all times. Would it be safer to go to Muzaffarabad or stay in Islamabad? Also as where not married I would assume that hotels would maybe not allow us to use the same room?

I would just be interested to hear anyones suggestions or opinions or if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

Many thanks

UK, London
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: English female travelling

Alright first of all Islamabad is very safe. I mean u cant be sure ever when a terrorsit can strike ANYWHERE in the world, but Islamabad is secure in terms u are refrening too. And if you want to be careful select a guest house there instead of a big hotel like marriot etc.

Secondly u will probably have problems getting into muzafrabad as its an army base and all. And they do not allow foreigners with out permission but if u can get permission, u are much safer there then anywhere else in Pakistan.

Lastly you dont need to worry about seprate rooms and all since Although Pakistan is an Islamic country, they are pretty forward and while it may be frowend upon, u living with ure boyfreind, it wont cause too much of a hue and cry.

Hope this helps.

P.s check this site out they sell [URL=http://designerhandle.co.uk] Door Handles and Knobs [/URL]. and i just absolutly loved their [URL=http://designerhandle.co.uk/Door-Furniture-Door-Stops/c41_71/index.html] Decorative Door Stops [/URL].

peshawar
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: English female travelling

well...............just relax......very simple.just wear SHALWAR , KAMEES AND DOPATA.a pakistani woman dress .......with this dress u can go any where , u can live any where .with ur boy friend or with out ..........no worries .even u can go to muzaffer abad just be in pakistani dress .

Dr Hafeez, peshawar, pakistan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: English female travelling

Thaitraveller

The previous posters have given good advice

The northern areas are indeed in the news nowadays.

I would advise to dress modestly (wear pakistani dress) and keep a low profile. Although someone said avoid big western style hotels, I would have thought that the incident at the Marriott in Islamabad would have caused other similar hotels to increase their security substantially.

You need to also get your story right for when you go for a visa at the Pakistani High Commission in the UK. Citing the fact that you're visiting your Pakistani boyfriend in Pakistan, might not go down too well. Suggest you arrange for a few nights reservation at a hotel run by the Pakistan Tourist Development Corp. Use that reservation to secure your visa, and then by all means spend time with your BF at that same hotel.

Apart from all that, Pakistan has some of the most friendliest people I've ever come across........you'll have a great time there....good luck

Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: English female travelling

Bonjour Mon ami,

I think I've already responded to your post on virtualtourist.

Dress properly, Shalwar, Kamees and Dupatta.

All the luck.

Imran Schah

Cities & Mountains of Pakistan, Photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imranthetrekker

5. Re: English female travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2016, 14:02
West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English female travelling

Thank you all very much for your comments and suggestions. I'm hoping to visit next month, just need to sort out my visa arrangements which I'm a little concerned about, but I hope that everything works out well and I have a good trip.

London
Level Contributor
115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English female travelling

hope this advice is not too late. I would suggest you fly to Islamabad, stay there for a few days, then maybe go with him to Murree, which is a lovely place to stay and has a holiday relaxed feel. His family can come and visit you there, as its not far from Muzaffarabad. If you fancy a splash, stay for a few days at PC Bhurban Hotel, which is very nice and is on the road from ISB to Muzaffarabad. Buy some shalwar kameez when you get there.

Other nice places nearby including Abbottabad (but hotels there are not great) and Lahore is lovely

8. Re: English female travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 06:17