We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

Karachi
2 posts
Save Topic
Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

Hello pals,

I'm planning a family trip (group of 10 incl. children) to Hunza, Gilgit and probably Skardu from 23rd Dec till 1st Jan.

I have two options:

Option-1: Fly to Gilgit from Islamabad and carry by road onwards

Option-2: Road trip all the way from Islamabad

Guide if it would be safe to travel with family. Would appreciate if someone can guide the trip in both options and preferable hotel stays.

Thanks,

Kashif

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

hi Kashif,

greetings from Islamabad,

based on your asked question: I hope you will have some ideas about the weather of north Pakistan especially in Skardu, gilgit & Hunza. To be honest it's freezing weather at the moment. I just return back from Krygistan & China over the khunjerab pass after crossing the attabad lack i was in Gilgit, Hunza & Skardu for few days. If you & your family can bear the said weather condition, then everything is ok.

Don't worry about the security condition, the said destination are the only places of Pkistan where a local or international tourists can spend the days with out any problem. people are friendly and will always welcome you. My name is Karim & i am from karimabad, Hunza and will always welcome you if you need any kind of assistance for traveling to Hunza Shangrila

For family trip, i will also recommend you to go through a reliable source which means through a company. The reason you need to make some arrangements before starting the trip. First in winter hotels remianed closed in Hunza & Skardu except some budgeted hotels, which will not suit to stay for a family. The second thing is arranging of air-tickets & ground transportation, so the company can arrange before your visit. Following are the few companies from Hunza Valley, you can contact them for help/making arrangements.

www.hunzatravels.com

www.visitatp.com

WIsh you happy travels!

HT

Karachi
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

Thanks Karim. We are looking forward to enjoy the cold weather especially snowfall. Our last year's trip to Murree was also in end December when temperature was about -1C at night but we could not catch the snowfall for which we originally planned the tour.

Do you have an Idea of expected temperature in last week of December in Hunza/Gilgit and possibility of snowfall.

Of course, we would be needing a guide and vehicle to accommodate 6 adults and 7 children. I believe that arrangements through company would be a bit costly. You can suggest better.

We are based in Karachi and planning to reserve air travel as early as possible to catch the lowest fares. We will start our journey from Islamabad. Given the available days (23rd Dec to 1st Jan) I needed an advise whether to travel to Gilgit all the way by road or by air. I have no idea about the road conditions and availability of suitable hotels on way.

I am sure that you can help us out recommending the stations we can visit given the weather conditioins. We were also planning to stay in Shangri La Skardu for at lease one day.

Given your Name and locatiion I believe that we belong to the same community. If so, give me your contact # in my email kkashi1@yahoo.com with prefrred time of calling. I'll call you to get more details.

Thanks and Regards, Kashif Ali

Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

Salam Chitral, Hindu Kush,

Dear Kashif, it is not a suitable time of the year to visit Gilgit, Hunza and Skardu, due to very extreme weather conditions, it was 16 below 0 today in Skardu.

For family trip, I'd not suggest anyone to make an excursion at this time of the year but Murree, Ayubia and Galliate are better options, accessible and passable.

The weather conditions are dry this year but once it is snowy in the mountainous regions, that might paralyzed the life over there, if you remember the heavy snowfall last year in winters.

I wish you safe and happy travels,

Imran Schah

Mountain photography of Pakistan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imranthetrekker/

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

Dear Kashi, thanks for positive feedback with includes highly speaking about me. That's true what ever i mentioned about the region is according to current climate situation. But i noticed that your travel is totally for witness snowfaling, then why not Gilgit, Hunza & Skardu is best destination. In the last few years we have faced heavy snow fall therefore, keep your journey towards the said destination.

I am very much pleased to hear that you are also belongs to same community, you are right me from Karimabad and always welcome you to my home town. Feel free to ask me if you need any help with in hunza, Gilgit & Skardu.

We will stay in touch, but before that could you please reserve your flight seats from KHI-ISB-GLT accordinlgy we will follow to trip togather toward my home town.

As you saying that you already visited to Muree then what you think for Naran & Kaghan. Some hotels will remain open for in winter. Anyways i will provide you each and every information no worries.

YAM to you & your family,

HT

3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

please help me too, I have to go to see snowfall but where? I am planning my trip on 25 dec for 3 days till 28th... should I go to murree or skardu or gilgit? please help me and guide me. also can we go to skardu or gilgit through plane? please help I will be utterly thankful... and reply soon as I have to book the tickets

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

Hi Myum_17,

of course you can have a tour to Skardu, Gilgit & Hunza as these are the extreme northern side of Pakistan and time of your visit would be perfect. BUt on the other hand you have too short days, also keep in mind that flights for mountain region is subject to weather condition. Therefore, i must recommend you if you hold at least a week tour for said destination.

For murree, you already knew that climate situation of the country which means dry weather at all over Pakistan. Therefore, i don't think so that you will be able to catch snow fall in Muree in such short days.

YOu can ask me if you need any more information/assistance regarding your trip, as i am in Islamabad and basically from Gilgit & Hunza.

WIshing you happy travels!

HT

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

thanks for your reply... what about thandiani? is it snow there?

also can u guide me abt transportation available from Islamabad airport for thandiani murree and bhurban etc

3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

thanks for your reply... what about thandiani? is it snow there?

also can u guide me abt transportation available from Islamabad airport for thandiani murree and bhurban etc

9. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 10:52
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to Gilgit, Hunza, Skardu

There is no problem traveling in to North Pakistan (Gilgit, Skardu & Hunza) in winter. You can get luxrious Daiwoo class transport services run by Pakistan's leading transportatio company NATCO. Also road consition getting better as chinese worker are working on it.

This year till now enough snow fall in the above said areas. At least these are the Karackorum, Himalaya & Hindukush Mountains called land of adventure & culture. Therefore, if we compare to muree certainly will nothing the snow capped mountains of above said ranges.

Take the aboe said bus from pirvadhai bus stand and hotels are very cheapers.

Cheers