We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy hotels, to dos

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kandy hotels, to dos

Anyone suggest a decent hotel to stay at in Kandy? Likely only there for a night or two and don't need anything too upmarket.

We are travelling with a 2 year old and 6 month old so something kind of child friendly preferred.

Thanks

Hindo

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Oh, forgot to ask too about what there is to do in Kandy and surrounds.

Preston
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Hello Hindo,

I might upset some people here but to be honest, I’m not a huge fan of Kandy. I was there in January this year and as I had already seen the Temple on a previous visit I decided not to stop, I headed out towards Hatton instead and was very glad that I did.

Maybe it’s just me, I do prefer a village to a city, most guidebooks rave about the wonders of Kandy and to be fair the lake is nice, the Temple of the Tooth is a Sri Lanka ‘must do’ and if dancing is your thing then you can catch the traditional stuff here every evening (you and 300 other tourists).

There is also the inevitable Spice Garden, which is an even bigger rip off than most and be prepared for an army of touts at every corner. By the way, crime in Kandy is apparently second only to Colombo so you may need to watch where you walk at night.

As for somewhere to stay the Queens still clings on to the type of character and charm, which makes all the bad things bearable but if I was travelling with kids I would prefer to stay outside the town, not least because of the inflated prices in the city limits and because of the traffic.

Kandy is a transport hub (read bottleneck) in fact it is rapidly becoming an environmental nightmare and for several reasons the train is by far the best way to travel to and from the city. Having said this, if you do take the train book into the first class carriage, travelling with kids and luggage anywhere else on the train would be very hard work indeed.

My apologies to Kandy fans, I hope you are able to come back to the forum after your visit to tell us that you had a magical visit to Kandy and to tell me I was very wrong.

Regards

Mark

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,033 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Hi Hindo,

Mark has given a complete, if maybe rather coloured, description of town. And we could give a 'counter' one but that would also be coloured as it's Sandya's birthplace and we love the city in a biased way, more so than Colombo or Galle or Eliya.

As for hotels: Queens is an extremely mixed experience as you will see from the TA reviews, so I'd not recommend to anyone. If you want not too far from city, a bit child-friendly and not too upmarket, I'd think of Thilanka, Hilltop or Suisse hotels...

Have a nice Kandy time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Hi Hindo

I can maybe understand both Mark's and Erik's differing views about Kandy.

For the ordinary tourist Kandy is a must place to visit, but of course Mark like myself would have seen what we wanted to do there.

Erik's view, is of course totally differing, and who would not understand that, after all it it is his wife Sandya's birthplace, and of course they would want to revisit on every trip they make to Sri Lanka, and understandable so too.

Kandy is is my own opinion, a truly lovely place to visit, and i would recommend it to all first time visitors to Sri Lanka as a must go to place.

Hotel Thilanka?, yes, i would say that this is a nice place to stay over at, clean, comfortable 3 star hotel, good value, try it.

Regards

Dave

Polhena
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Hi there

Check out Villa Rosa which is on a hill overlooking Kandy. Its really beautiful and very clean.

Cheers......I love Kandy ....

Polhena
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Hi there

Check out Villa Rosa which is on a hill overlooking Kandy. Its really beautiful and very clean.

Cheers......I love Kandy ....

Shanghai
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Even though I'd agree with a couple of things MM says, I'd still definitely include Kandy on your itinerary.

Yes the traffic is hideous. It's a big problem that is only made worse by the fact that there are limited ways in and out of town due to the geography. Locating ALL the schools on one road, (The main rd in and out) makes for a hilarious rush hour.

The lovely circular walled fruit and vegetable market in the centre of town is quite interesting, as is the maze-like fabric and clothing market near the clock-tower. Of course the temple and lake are a great diversion for couple of hours. The lake is a stunning sight at sunup and sundown even with the annoying collection of touts, scam artists and over-zealous security guards. It's just such a jewel of perfection with it's raised promenade and ramparts.

As far as the temple itself? Meh... I think it's a beautiful stroll around the grounds and from the outsite it's spectacular, but not worth the admission unless you are a practicing buddhist or seriously interested in eastern studies. The Botannical Gardens was excellent and deserving of at least a half day. We only had three hours to spend there and were still rushed.

I would echo other's advice here and stay outside the town in a hotel or B and B in the hills. I think some of the guesthouses/hotels on the opposite side of the lake from the temple fit this bill. On the strength of TA recommendations we stayed at Kumari and Rehal Madugalle's bed and breakfast and were very glad that we did. Great views, warm and friendly family and the best food you'll find anywhere in Sri Lanka. Their house is extremely quiet and peaceful and surrounded by a lush cottage garden of exotic plants and flowers. Perhaps our homestay there was the difference between really enjoying Kandy, and it being just another tourist stop.

London, UK
Level Contributor
520 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Avoid Helga's Folly, apparently a lot of people really dislike it and apparently there are loads of trouble with thieving monkeys the swimming pool is filthy etc.etc......I had a driver who recommended the Swiss Hotel in Kandy...of all the places there. (he was not on the make as he bought me some padlocks for my suitcases on the way back as he was horrified as i didn't have any...)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Thanks everyone. We wound up staying at the Chaaya Citadel for a couple of nights. Got a good deal and everything very good.

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kandy hotels, to dos

Too late but within easy reach of Kandy and near to the Elephant orphanage is the Tulip of Ceylon has a web site which doesn't do it justice