We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in Sri Lanka

Birmingham
2 posts
Save Topic
Smoking in Sri Lanka

Hi there, I'm new to this so please bear with me!

I'll apologise for my nasty habit up front, but I'm a smoker travelling to Sri Lanka, and I've been reading the other posts on the website and getting increasingly concerned!

I'm travelling on a weeks tour and then flying to the Maldives for a week. My other half is a non-smoker, but is happy to carry a couple of (open) packets of ciggies through Sri Lankan customs for the sake of my sanity - but I'm worried about finding cigarettes once I'm there and if I'll actually be able to smoke anywhere anyway!!!! Especially as it's a tour.

My other concern is being able to buy ciggies on the way out of Sri Lanka to the Maldives - is there availability in the outbound duty free shop?

Any advice would be more than welcome, as my tour operator is unsure as well!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in Sri Lanka

Hi there......

Ok smoking as i found it there last month in Sri Lanka

No smoking at all in enclosed public places, including the following

Hotel lobbies that are not open one one side

All Restauraunts and Bars that are inside, out door ones ok

All transport, including tour ones, well that has been for sometime

Bus stops !!

Smoking allowed in hotel rooms, if room is not designated as non smoking

Yes, you can take one or two !! open packs per person into Sri Lanka, and yes you can buy them there too, as a "rough" guide Benson's are around 400 Rupees in Hotels about £2.00, or 250 Rupees in local shops around £1.25

Yes, you can buy duty frees on the way out of Sri lanka, price, around $18 Dollars US per carton, a little cheaper on aircraft though.

And the smoking room at Colombo airport is till there too!!

Hope this help to calm "nerves" a little.

Regards

Dave

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in Sri Lanka

HI,

nothing much to write as Dave has cleared all the concerns.

Nishantha

Tyne and Wear...
Level Contributor
54 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in Sri Lanka

I'm a smoker too and currently in Sri Lanka. It's so hot here, that you'll find you probably won't want to spend much time in the "enclosed areas" where smoking isn't allowed. Almost all hotels, rest houses etc have tables, verandas or terraces in the open air, where it's much more comfortable to sit anyway.

You can't buy cigarettes in the local supermarkets like you used to any longer and I was panicking a bit when I first got here and found myself dependant on my Sri Lankan friends to buy them for me. As I've been here a bit longer, I've seen them on hotel menus and in shops in resorts.

Birmingham
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in Sri Lanka

Many thanks to all of you for your replies. Yes it has helped to calm my nerves and look forward again to visiting what I believe is a beautiful country!

J xxx

5. Re: Smoking in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 16:16