We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

Hi,

Need help! Looking for the perfect beach/place in Sri Lanka for end of April begining of May for about a week.

Here is what we are looking for:

1) excellent snorkeling right off the beach

2) clean hygenic accomodation (hot water and a/c preferred), no need for nightlife, could be basic/simple or luxury

3) quiet-no noisy traffic- auto or boat

I've read about Hikkaduna, Unuwatuna (don't mind resorts if it's not too noisy and meet the above list), as well as Polhena, Galle, Bentota, Nilaveli, Dickwella, Mirissa.... but am not sure about the snorkeling around these places and heard that the Tsunami has damaged a lot of the reefs in these South, southwestern areas?

If there are any experts or anyone who has recently traveled in the Southern, Southwestern areas, I would appreciate any info! Thanks!

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

Hi,

By looking at your preferences i could say polhena is an ideal selection. Polhena is a very tranquil location with an ideal beach. It's ideal for snorkeling. Not much touristy. You could enjoy a charm holiday. As far as accomodation is concerned Polhena Reef Garden is the famous hotel. But there are enough of guest houses around. T.K. Gouse,Emerald Bay Inn are some names. If you need further details send me an email.

Nishantha

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
169 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

Snorkeling in Polhena in May at the start of the Monsoon?? Don't think so.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

I've been to Polhenna plenty of times in the monsoon season and inside the reef was well calm enough to snorkel.

Rod.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

Exactly Rod i have been to polhena in all the months in the year.

Polhena
Level Contributor
74 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

Hi there

I actually live in Polhena and swim within the reef all year round because its very protected. One beacjh guest house suggested www.srilankabeachguesthouse.com or another is Royal Surf but they dont have a web site.

I live in Polhena and swim within the reef all year round because its very protected. One suggested accomodation www.srilankabeachguesthouse.com or Royal Surf which doesn't have a web site but is very simple in an old waluwa.

6. Re: Sri Lanka- looking 4 quiet, clean place w/ best snorkeling!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 16:19