We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doha stopover

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
doha stopover

flying to sri lanka with qatar airlines from gatwick via doha could any member please tell us how long on the ground at doha and can you leave the plane, thanks everyone.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,448 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: doha stopover

Hi there.....

Cannot be sure about this paticular route, but.... i think you will find that it is actually a plane change at Doha, and a stopover of around 4 hours, but as i said, some routes and flights do differ depending on time of day, and day of week.

Barbie did this a little while ago, so maybe she will come and confirm this.

Regards

Dave

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: doha stopover

Hi,

I've flown that way quite a few times and it's been 5 hour stop over.

Yes you leave the plane and spend the time in the transit lounge. Cafes shops etc. You should get a meal voucher from Qatar airlines, ask if they don't offer. Food wasn't up to much in the transit lounge but with the voucher you can always say yes or no.

The stop over seems to be a drag but it does allow you to wander around after the 8 hours on the plane and the next leg, of 4 hours, then gets you into Colombo at an ideal time.

If you didn't have the stop over, you'd be getting to Colombo in the middle of the night , so it's a mixed blessing.

Rod.

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: doha stopover

Yep, it's a 4.5 / 5 hour stopover in Doha and you change planes.

There's not a lot to do in Doha airport. Don't know anything about the free food vouchers though!

We chose to book the Oryx Lounge at £15pp each way which gives you access to a lounge with big comfy leather sofas, free food (nibbles - sandwiches, nuts, cakes, etc), soft drinks and free internet access!

Barbie

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
243 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: doha stopover

Barbiegirl, how did you book this lounge?

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: doha stopover

Hi,

We booked it through Qatar Airways Gatwick office. I'd recommend you do this with plenty of time though as we had real problems gaining access due to the fact our MCO (confirmation) didn't come through in time.

Here's some info from my trip report about the flights and lounge...

We flew from LGW with Qatar Airways which included a 4.5 hour stopover in Doha both ways. I'd never flown with Qatar before and was interested in flying with a 5* airline (also chosen to save money!) While the flights were fine, I'm not quite sure what makes them 5*. There was nothing at fault but it seemed just like any other flight I’d been on. Seatback TV's make all the difference and we experienced different planes. Our flight from Doha to Colombo had TV's but the return from Colombo to Doha didn't. The return flight from Doha to LGW had the biggest seatback screen I’ve ever seen it was huge and offered an array of films, TV shows, games and a massive collection of CD's to choose from.

We pre-booked the Oryx lounge at Doha for £15pp each way. I didn't receive any confirmation before I left but was told this wouldn't be a problem. It took about 10 minutes to sort out on the way out but on the way back was a different problem. They wouldn't let us in unless we paid again. in the end, we decided to leave but asked them to provide us with written confirmation to say we had been refused entry to allow us to get our money back once we got home (it was prepaid through the LGW office) After an hour of waiting they eventually allowed us to stay as they couldn't be bothered to write a letter for us. Not good customer service and looking back, I don't think we'd book again

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k102…

Barbie

6. Re: doha stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 19:16