We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist behaviour

firefly2280
Level Contributor
144 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist behaviour

We have been in Unawatuna for a few days now and I must say I've been quite sad to see how some tourists behave towards the locals. I've travelled a fair bit and have found Sri Lankans to be some of the nicest people around.

I know it can get a bit annoying when you're asked for the 80th time if you want a tuk tuk or a trinket on the beach but it doesn't take much to show some compassion, these are people, the same as you or I and they want the same as we do, to be happy, safe and have food for their families. Think how hard it is for that old guy pacing the beach all day in the heat trying to sell a coconut or 2.... not an easy life. I just think it takes nothing to be polite and smile and say no thank you. And actually, the nicer you are,the more you get to know people and really experience the place.

I'm sure most people are nice but I've really seen some very very rude people here shooing people away, ignoring them and shouting.not good :(

Mentioned in this post
Unawatuna
Unawatuna
Galle District, Sri Lanka
3 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,626 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist behaviour

Agree but probably has to come from both sides. The level of deceit some touts manage to combine with their friendliness is also among highest in the world ;-)

Greetings from sunny Colombo,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
firefly2280
Level Contributor
144 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist behaviour

Thankfully we have not (knowingly) been victim to this kind of behaviour from touts. A little in Galle but only for a few pounds here and there. Nothing major but I'm sure it happens in other places.

Mentioned in this post
Galle
Galle
Galle District, Sri Lanka
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
5,369 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist behaviour

I just came back from SL and found the people to be extremely friendly. I just ignore the touts completely because if i need a tuktuk or a guide i know where to find one.

Reply to: Tourist behaviour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted