We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry, final question- sapphires

Uk
Level Contributor
443 posts
216 reviews
Sorry, final question- sapphires

Hi

I would really love to have a pink sapphire ring made and thinking of having this done at either Cara or Lihinya Gems in Galle.

Apparently they have international certificates and according to reviews on here are very good/ trustworthy. Any thoughts please as this isn’t going to be cheap so I really want to make sure it is genuine? Thanks

Nic

10 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,084 posts
229 reviews
1. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

NOT to be trusted, search the forum for all the scams at ALL jewellers by part of the staff.

Before paying, meet them with THIS gem at State Gem Board WTC Colombo and get a free or even paid appraisal of the stone. And make sure it cannot be swapped with a pumped-up fake afterwards.

E+S

2. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2018, 15:29

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Sapphires come in two different types, pure or heat treated. The heat treated ones are less expensive than the pure unheat treated ones. In Sri Lanka, majority of the stones up for sale is the heat treated kind. In many places, including in "reputable" stores, heat treated stones are being sold as pure. That is why it is very important to have an independent appraisal of the stones that you buy. The only safe place to do that inspection/appraisal is at State Gem Board labs in Colombo. Even when you do that you do not let the stone out of your sight so that it cannot be swapped and replaced with a cheaper stone afterwards.

BTW, Sri Lanka is famous for blues, I don't know if pinks are available there.

Uk
Level Contributor
443 posts
216 reviews
4. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Oh gosh, very glad I asked! maybe I won’t bother. The type I want is pretty expensive and we won’t be able to get to Colombo so sounds as though I would be better leaving it. Thanks so much everybody. Nic

Uk
Level Contributor
443 posts
216 reviews
5. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Having looked at the National Gem and jewellery assoc website it looks as though there may be a testing facility in Galle, I have emailed the officer in anthem but does anybody know whether this is somewhere I can take the sapphire to be verified? Am thinking I may just buy the sapphire rather than have it set so that once they verify I can pay and take the sapphire thereby not risking anything! Thanks Nic

Uk
Level Contributor
443 posts
216 reviews
6. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Officer in charge not anthem 🙊

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,075 posts
449 reviews
7. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

I recently returned from Sri Lanka and purchased a pair of Saphire earrings for my wife. The shop owner told me to ignore the prices as they were for guides bringing in customers. He immediately quoted me half the price that was attached to the earrings. Then i bargained a little and gained a small discount

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
104 reviews
8. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Buy a sapphire ONLY IF you will still be happy with it when you learn, back home, that it is not worth your purchase price.

Archi

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,084 posts
229 reviews
9. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Galle lab is offering paid service only. Free services in Colombo and Ratnapura nowhere else.

<Erik>

Uk
Level Contributor
443 posts
216 reviews
10. Re: Sorry, final question- sapphires

Thanks Erikandsandya- good to know. I am happy to pay if it means I have the peace of mind I think.

Reply to: Sorry, final question- sapphires
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted