We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

Hi there

I am planning to book to go to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks in July and stay at the Mermaid hotel. I am debating whether to go to this hotel for 14 nights and do a few day trips or book a 4 night tour and then stay 10 nights at the hotel. The tour goes to Sigiriya Rock, Buddhas, Kandy, Tooth Temple, Botanical Gardens, Tea Factory and elephants. The difference in price is going for the tour is £150 more per person.

Basically I am wondering whether I could get to see all these sights cheaper if I just book some day trips when I get there or is this quite a good deal?

Any advice on whether these are the best sights to see or anything key we'd be missing would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

Hi

I was recently in SL and took a privately organised tour for three nights at £28 pp per day. This included accomodation, meals and entrance fees, and the ability to chop and change the itinerary as we went. Obviously the price wil depend on where you wish to go and the number of people on the trip, but this may guide you. If you contact me I can put you in touch with my friendy tour organiser in Kalutara who could give you a price before you go.

regards

Steve

Berkshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

Hi,

We booked a tour and beach stay at the Mermaid with Cosmos and travelled in February (Splendors of Ceylon tour).

Personally, we preferred it this way and it was worth any extra expense. It might be cheaper to go via the "beach boys" but the organised tour was less stress and we didn't back track at all. Having been to all the places now, I wouldn't have liked to have to travel those long journeys o and from the hotel each time I wanted to go on a trip.

It's all about personal preference really.

You'll love the Mermaid! :o)

Barbie

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

Hi

I think the 4 day tour and 10 nights at hotel would be the perfect combination - we did a similar thing on our first trip to Sri Lanka and it was great!

I'd definitely go for this hassle free option and enjoy!!

4. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2007, 15:26
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

hi,

I think if you could plan your own with your preferred destinations its much cheaper i think.Also you have the liberty to change your destinations depend on the wheather etc. restrcting into a one place you cannot experiecce the Sri Lanka.If you like i could help you to plan your trip. I will give you the hotel contact as well so that you could directly get a deal from them.

Nishantha

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

Thanks very much for all your help, that's really useful. I will maybe get in touch with some of you too after I've had a bit more of a think about it.

7. Re: Advice on whether to book a tour in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 21:19