We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bentota as a base?

UK
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Bentota as a base?

Hey guys!

We are nearly booked, just wanted to ask...is Bentota a good base? We are coming in May but want to see the elephant orphanage/cultural triangle etc. Can these be done in day trips? I can't seem to find info on excursions, is it a matter of taking the train?

Thanks

Lauren

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bentota as a base?

Hi,

If you are more keen to visit Elephant orphanage & cultural triangle then Bentota is not a good base. day trips posiible but tired at the end of the day due to long distance.I think you could stay one or two nights in Kandy & visit Elephant orphanage & kandy excursions.Then you could stay some where like habarana & vist all the excursions in the cultural triangle.

Kandy Amaya hills is an ideal locations to stay.In Habarana Chaya village & cinnamon lodge is good for accomodation.If you need further deatils you could contact me.

Nishantha

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,019 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bentota as a base?

Hi Lauren,

Basically agree with Nishanta. Note that train is unsuitable for day excursions as it's slower than direct car-with-driver.

Pinawela can be done from Bentota as a (long) day trip. Cultural Triangle not at all. From Negombo you could do _part_ of the triangle as day trips but not all, even then a 2- or 3-day trip inland from your beach resort base would be advised...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

3. Re: Bentota as a base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 13:18