We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty

Pleasant Prairie...
14 posts
Save Topic
Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty

My husband and I will be traveling to Sri Lanka for two weeks in June-July. What kind cell phone should we bring with us in order to have a local sim card work? We plan to install a pre-paid sim card at the airport and then use the iphone to call, text, and call urber. Any insights from you would be very very helpful.

Thanks,

Mimi Yang

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty

You can get your Tourist Mobile Plan from Dialog or Mobitel, the Widest Coverage and Fastest Network in Sri Lanka. Dialog and Mobitel offer the best Tourist Mobile Plan that helps you connect with your loved ones while you enjoy the beauty of this paradise island.

Collect your FREE Dialog or Mobitel Prepaid SIM from the counter at the airport. The SIM will only cost you Rs.150 (USD 1). Ask the retailer to Top Up Rs.1299. (USD 9) (The Tourist plan will be automatically activated when you Top Up Rs.1299).

Mentioned in this post
Pleasant Prairie...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty

Very helpful advice Prabhath! What kind cell phone should I bring with me to get Dialog or Mobitel activate my sim card? Also, which counter at the airport shall i collect my free sim? If it is free, to whom shall i pay $1 to get the sim card?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,630 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty

Any unlocked phone.

General advice is NOT to go for the free Dialog or Mobitel SIM. Topping them up (which is soon needed) gives you e.g. 10 mins of local calls or 2 mins of international for 100 rupee, whilst for a 'local' Dialog/Mobitel SIM that same 100 rupee gives you 30 mins of local calls or 6 mins international. Hence it's stealing from yourself and too good to be true ;-) Check the local SIM rates at Dialog.lk and Mobitel.lk first.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Pleasant Prairie...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty

Erik & Sandya, your advice is much needed, will check out the websites you gave me... will ask again if i have new questions surfacing. THANKS

Reply to: Getting a sim card at Colombo International Airpoty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted