We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue Fever

Belmont, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Dengue Fever

We are traveling to Sri Lanka in August, Kandy and other locations. We are traveling with two small children one being 4 years old. Anyone there now or recently that can advise on the mosquito situation? I’ve read people are getting bit even with repellent. Very concerned and don’t want to put risk unnecessarily. Any help is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Small-Group Reykjavik RIB Whale...
21 Reviews
from US$210.40*
Free Cancellation
8-Day Sri Lanka Classic Tour
9 Reviews
from US$599.00*
Sigiriya Rock and Dambulla Cave...
8 Reviews
from US$155.00*
Free Cancellation
8 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
60,642 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue Fever

Ir's on same level as almost all (sub)tropical countries. Take the usual precautions, e.g. AC rooms, after darrk long sleeves, and indeed proper skin protection. For us spray with Deet works best, others have reported other stufff but a forum search will give some hints ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi Dulcey, we're travelling this week with a 4 year old so like you have been reading up on the dengue situation. My understanding is that Colombo is the worst affected but even then it's outlying residential areas rather than the main tourist areas. Although dengue is quite prevalent, as a tourist you're far less likely to be infected - assuming you'll be using mosquito nets / staying in a/c rooms, using repellent etc. Also in Colombo (and I assume elsewhere) there's a big campaign to reduce mosquito numbers (heavy fines levied on those failing to deal with potential breeding pools etc). The other thing to bear in mind that obviously worst case scenario one of you were infected, you're far less likely to develop severe dengue (haemorragic dengue) if you've not previously been infected with a different serotype. Obviously you need to weigh up the risks for your family but you might find some of the below links of help.

www.epid.gov.lk/web/index.php…

who.int/csr/…

…cipediatrics.org/information-dengue-travele…

https:/…dengue

I also had a look at hospital recommendations for the areas we're staying just in case the worst were to happen (I believe the Seventh Day Adventist Hospital has been recommended elsewhere on TA for Kandy). I'm also packing kids paracetamol in the first aid kit (ibuprofen/asprin is advised against) just in case. I'd also suggest reading up on picaridin as a repellent - it's much newer on the market than deet but from what I've read seems to be equally effective in trials at much lower concentration so is better on young skin.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Belmont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue Fever

Very helpful. Thank you.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
5,020 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue Fever

As a repellant you can also use citronella oil , I forgot where the factory was but it was on my travels in 1979 ! I went to the factory as it was in the Lonely Planet guide and was asked how much I wanted, I hadn’t a clue so said 50 rupees worth, they gave me a gallon can. I felt pretty stupid carrying it around with me so I eventually managed to decant about a twentieth of it into an empty sun cream jar and gave the rest of it away.

To give you some idea on prices mangoes were 2 1/2 rupees each but the vendors tried it on in the hope of getting 3 rupees

Belmont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi. I wanted to check in and see how your travels are going. Since you’re there would you have time to give an update the the true mosquitoe population? Is the preventative treatment with bug spray effective? The plan is for us to travel to Kandy with travels elsewhere. Thank you again with all the data you provided...identical to my research. Since you’re traveling with a 4 year old it’s helpful from a mom’s perspective. Thank you again.

Mentioned in this post
Kandy
Kandy
Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue Fever

Hi there, so far we've been in Colombo and have just arrived in Trincomalee. There are certainly plenty of mozzies in Colombo at present due to the rains - my husband forgot to put on repellent one evening and was made a feast of! The picaridin/icaridin we're using seems pretty effective although it is worth noting that the mozzies will on occasion bite through thinner fabric (I got several bites on my back where they'd gone through the fabric to avoid the spray I'd slathered everywhere else. All this said though, I should also mention that if you're staying in modern a/c hotels you probably don't need to worry too much - we've been visiting friends and family and have only really noticed the mozzies when visiting more traditional open style homes/gardens. The government is being pretty proactive at present, carrying out home checks looking for potential breeding sites and also carrying out fogging (although I'm not sure how effective this is against Aedes aegypti). As mentioned we're now in Trincomalee and (touch wood) haven't really noticed any mozzies so far. Hope this is of help.

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Trincomalee
Trincomalee
Eastern Province, Sri Lanka
Belmont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue Fever

This is so helpful. I was almost going to cancel my trip due to worry for my little ones so this is most helpful. If you don’t mind, I may ping you after you finish your trip just so check how the rest of your visit went. Thank you again, you have been amazing.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue Fever

Glad to be of use and yes, by all means PM me - travelling with kids seems to take so much more planning!

Reply to: Dengue Fever
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted