We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in September

London
7 posts
Save Topic
Weather in September

Hi,

I'm considering go to Sri Lanka in September, can anyone tell me what the weather i s generally like at this time of the year? we are keen to do all the trips and explore the culture, but also want to be able to chill out and sunbathe for a few days. Would it be better to go later in the year?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sophie

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in September

Hi Sophie,

Its a mixed wheather could expect in september probably little unpredictable.But mostly rain is in the evening.Hopefully most of the mornings are ok. yes it is much better from end November to April.

Nishantha

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in September

Hi Sophie

September would no doubt be better than October and November for weather, with December "on paper" better still, but last December was a wash out!!, rains lasted much longer than they should have done.

I guess weather out there, like here in London recently is not living up to what it should be !!

Regards

Dave

Dublin
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in September

Hey there - i am planning to go in November - anyone know what the weather is like at that time of year? I heard it was nice Nov - Dec?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,951 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in September

Hi Eileen,

Good weather 'guarantee' starts around Dec-15. Intermonsoon period of 4-6 weeks can run anywhere between Oct-1 and Dec-15. Last year it was Nov-1 to Dec-15, other years much earlier.

So November is kind of risky period on the west coast. Sometimes blocks of cloudy days, sometimes a few good ones.

On south coast, esp. east of Matara, still nice dry and sunny on almost all days!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dublin
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in September

Hi Erik,

Thanks for coming back to me - we are planning to go beginning of November and travel around the island - i am hoping that it is not going to rain the entire time. Coming from Ireland where it has been raining non-stop!

Eileen

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,951 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in September

Hi Eileen,

No this should be fine. Lanka has ALWAYS a large region with good weather, it's a bit unpredictable which one it will be esp. in the centre of the country. So if you don't prebook all hotels you are flexible, and can shorten or lengthen a stay in an area depending on the forecast or even avoid certain routes altogether!

Have a lovely time,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: Weather in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 12:16