We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Safari

Shropshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Elephant Safari

When i go to Sri Lanka in October we really want to go on an elephant safari, however we are not sure which place is best to go and how long the journey time is, Can anyone advise us on how to go about going on this journey and whether it's best to stay overnight etc.

Many Thanks

Cindi x

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Safari

Hi, I don't know what you think of as a safari but the only place I know of that allows you to wander about off road on an elephant is Habarana.

Theres a couple of places there that organise elephant rides.

The routine is, mount the elephant from a raised platform, sit in the framework on the elephants back. ( I think the seating arrangement is called a " hoodah " ).

The elephant is then led by the mahout, up the road, down a dirt track through some woodland, around an area like water meadows , through a river and back to base. The ride takes about 1 hour.

Watch out for the guy who offers to run along side with your camera to take plenty of pics of you.

He's safe with the camera and produces good photos but fix his price before you start other wise it multilpies very quickly.

You can also ride an elephant in a newish place almost next door to the elephant orphanage at Pinawella but it's a much shorter ride and I've been told, relatively, very expensive.

Habarana is in the cutlurl triangle quite near to Sigirya and Polonorua.

Rod.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Safari

Hi Cindi,

If you meant the Elephant rides yes Habarana is the ideal place for it. But if you mean to see safari trips to see wild elephants Minneriya,Kaudulla and Udawalawe are few places to be mentioned.

Nishantha

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Safari

Oops,

Sorry Cindi, looks like I got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

Rod.

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
589 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant Safari

Hi Rod,

Even though you may have got hold of the "wrong end of the stick" the info you gave has been very useful to me. Seriously considering going to Sri Lanka next year especially for the Elephants- rides & safaris.

So thanks for the "wrong" answer lol

Shropshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant Safari

Well to tell you the truth Rod i didn't know that was an option riding the elephants, sounds interesting and something i would consider so thanks, I'm stayin at the club hotel dolphin by the way has anyone got any idea of journey times etc. Thanks

Cindi x

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant Safari

Hi Cindi,

It will be around 3-4 hours drive from waikkal to habarana via kurunegala.

Nishantha

Around the world
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant Safari

Hey Cindi!! Found you on here when looking for Sri Lanka!

How have u been??? How is your mom?

Did she get my post cards from Colombo?

Im in Bahrain at the moment, stuck on this ship and not allowed to go ashore cos ive been a naughty boy, oh well.

Give karren my warm greetings and i hope you both are doing fine. Lol ive still got all the letters written to Karren and sum little gifts from sri lanka to send to you both, i'll try when they let me go ashore and post them, hehe.

Anthony. x

Shropshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant Safari

hiya, yes we are all fine thank you and how are you? we have received all the postcards etc from you and thank you for keeping us updated. I hope you are having a great time. Take care of yourself.

Around the world
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant Safari

I feel guilty cos i had written at least 3 letters for karren, telling her how im getting on. But when we sail into another country everyones main priorty is to get pissed, lol. But when i get back home (next month) i'll give them to her, im sorry their abit late.

And im doing fine thanks, always sunny this part of the world. Ive been to....Malta, Muscat, Pakistan, Sri Lanka twice, Singapore for 2 weeks, Malaysia (got my scuba diving licence..hehe) and now where in Bahrain. Dubai is our next stop, then cypus and i fly home from their. Really missing home like mad and missing just everyone to be quit frank. How are you doing?

Shropshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant Safari

Yes i'm ok. Been through it n back really but getting there. Thanks for asking. Dont feel guilty about the letters lol just do it when you can. The main thing is that your having fun and happy. Just post them letters when you can anyway and look forward to hearing from you.