We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deet and cold in the hills.

Madison Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Deet and cold in the hills.

Deet. Can we buy it in Sri Lanka in any form (spray, roll-on) is it avalible all over?

How cold is cold in the Hill country Kandy? Nuwara Eliya? in the early mornin

14 days till the trip!

Thanks

Steve & Renee

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi Steve & Renee,

Noramlly Kandy has a very comfortable wheather & not an unbearable cold in the Morning. In Nuwara-eliya its arourd 18C in the morning. If you like good birding & trekking sites in & around Nuwara_eliya just ask me.

Nishantha

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi,

Most of the hill country has a great climate but I have been really cold in Newara Eliya.

Everytime I've been through Newara Eliya, in the afternoon, it's become cold, wet and windy. Especially one night we stayed over at the Grovenor Hotel where we just couldn't sleep at all , we were so cold.

Nishantha has said the temperature drops to about 18 degrees. Well, I reckon it can get a lot coldr than that. Frost up there isn't unknown and I'm sure, last year I read a report of snow.

But, if you're thinking on what to pack. Don't worry about that.

Right in the centre of the town there is " the jacket market" which , s the name implies, sells mainly " jackets".

Usually, either seconds from local factories or over runs on the production line. When my son saw this market he was amazed.. he said that jackets he could buy there for less than £5, here in the Uk were over £100.

So,, if it's cold when you get there,, go to the jacket market, buy youself a nice new fleecy coat to keep you warm while up there, then give it to a local when you leave.

Rod.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi Rod,

I said thesedays its around 18c and it can go beyond that.Yes there are times where it goes down much more than that specially in December. I was staying in Nuwara-eilya on 25th to 28th August. Yes Bale Bazar is the best place to buy your warming clothes.

Nishantha

Madison Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Thank You all about the cold..

What about DEET mozzie spray or roll on? can we buy it in Sri Lanka

Steve Renee

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi,

I'm not sure if it contains deet but the brand I find most successful over there is named Autan. I know Dave uses the same one.

It's available in lots of phamarcies and quite often in the small local shops as well. Any branch of Cargills, ( thats the local posh supermarket) also stocks autan.

I just bought it in a liquied , splash it on form not sure if spray or roll on are available.

Nishatha,

I'm not sure when is the coldest time in Newara Eliya. I didn't mean to infer that you were not right. The time when I spent a completely sleepless night there because of the cold was actually in Sept, when we spent some time in the hills after going to Kandy for the Perahera a few years ago.

Rod.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi Snakes, and Rod

Yes, AUTAN does contain deet, and in my opinion is just about as good as it gets for keeping all those bugs at bay, will be using it again myself at end of this month, yipppee!!! 17 days to go !!

Regards

Dave

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi again

Little addition here...

AUTAN is available in spray, roll on and liquid forms, but not sure what ones are in Lanka.

Maybe do as i do, check it out E-Bay !!!

Regards

Dave

Moretonhampstead...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Hi

we've stocked up on boots own brand lotion, containing 50% Deet. Not knowing what is available in the local shops and of course wanting to be armed for our first night there. Have also found that their own brand of sun screen with insect repellant is very effective, as when we've been to the med. those pesky flies are ever present around the hotel pools and this stuff really works!!

Not venturing into the hills just relaxing and hoping to gradually finding our way around :-)

Madison Alabama
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

Thanks for all the info on the mozzie spray. After doing some research on the Brand sold in Sri Lanka (AUTAN). AUTAN looks like it is superior to brands with deet, lasts longer and is a bit more safe also.

http://www.autan.com.uk

also looks like the active ingredient is something called Icaridin also known around the world as KBR or Bayrepel (trademark of Bayer AG).

Looks like we will be looking for some AUTAN.

10. Re: Deet and cold in the hills.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 15:16