We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
78 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

We are planning a trip to Sri Lanka at the end of December for 2-3 weeks. First time there and need help in what we MUST see and do. We like to get off the beaten track to hang out with the locals as well as see the main sights in the big cities. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

colombo
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

hi

i recommend one week tour of sri lanka and then two weeks of beach

recommended places are

colombo,elephant orphanage.polonnaruwa,sigiriya,elephant back safari in habarana,dambulla,kandy,nuwara eliya,yala safari,galle,turtle farm

if you love nature,birds then do a trip to sinharaja rain forest for a day while you are in beach

if you nee any more info please let me know

thanks-amahl

Brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

Depends on your interests. If you love ancient history then the places are Anuradapura, Pollonnaura, Sigiriya etc. Sri Lanka is a bit of a humid place and as you are coming from canada, plan a cooler place in the middle of your holiday to Nuwaraeliya, which is in the central hills of Sri Lanka. temperature fall down to about 12 celsius during night and day is great at Nuwar Eliya. This is the area where you can see tea plantaion. You need to spend at a good day in Kandy on your way to Nuwar Eliya which is world famous for it's beauty and temple of tooth relics (Buddha).

Beaches are great in Sr Lanka, especially the Southern beaches whic are pretty and safe too. If you like to see the elephant and other wild life in action in nature, Yala national park is the place which is at eastern side of Southern province.

Sinharaja is a virgin forrest and you will love it trekking deep into it (of course with a guide). This is a great place on earth.

If you need more information on any other particular interest, please feel free to mention in the forum.

Truct this helps!

Aussie57

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

Hi,

depends on your interest lots of things to do,ots of places to visit.But if you like to experience with local culture & experience some viallge life stay most of the times in the cultural triangle because to be honest all beach areas are more or less spoilt & you never feel the simple viallge life at all.

Nishantha

Brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

Hi

Thanks for your comments Nishantha. However following is my assessemnt on Sri Lanka beaches.

I am not able agree with the statement "spoilt beaches'. What are we looking for in a beach, village life! I am a little confused. Our beaches are fabulous. That is the very reason why many tourist spend more time close to sea & beach.

Thanks

5. Re: Help! First trip to Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 12:20