We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Hi im not trying to worry anyone but ive just come across this on another forum.thought i had better pass it on to anyone who maybe interested.

I cant do links,sorry but its on the australian gov website.

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Aussie Government have virtually always said don't go but if you are reading this you'll see that some of us are coming and going all sorts of times. You'll also find lots of cricket fans on their way for the December test matches, so read these with a pinch of salt.

By the way our own FCO have advised against going to Yala National Park (today/yesterday), but it's closed anyway, so travel to it would be pointless!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

I certainly don't care what the Australians say. I still be there. 4 weeks on saturday

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Irony (which the Aussies rarely understand, some exceptions!) is the Sri Lankan cricket team are currently in Oz. Subtlety never been a strong point down under. Will also be in SL for the cricket with other half and both sons, not a problem.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Great Scott another scary story Do try not to worry have had this on and off last 3/4 times have been to Sri Lanka and i guess the Ozzys are now only catching up with the News abeit 4 Yrs late ;-) go and do not worry. Snags for the barbie anyone ?

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Hi again, well thats put my mind at rest,i am considering sri lanka for our wedding/honeymoon and didnt want it to get cancelled.Thanks everyone

UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Hiya

I set off 5 weeks today (yippeeeee), and can't wait , me and bfriends going for Xmas and New year - 2 wks.- been watching these boards since Feb 07 when we booked this holiday, and the troubles have been blowing hot and cold, month by month. We are definately still going - and are both really excited. The Aussi advice has always stated not to travel.

By the way, did anyone see those moaning winge'ers on watchdog last night - saying that First choice had sold them a holiday to an unsafe place - guards at airport with guns, and rep telling them there was civil unrest. The presenter then went onto to say that this was in June 07 when troubles with the Tamil Tigers had errupted, and it is now safe - Derrr - obviously NO ONE is reading any upto date info on SL and especially the dimwits who booked this holiday to start with. Common sense says you would have read up before travelling to somewhere like SL! They were also moaning that it had cost them £1600 for 2 wks, which included a wedding ! I would call this an outright bargain ! Aaaaaarrrrhhhhhh

Karen

Brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Hi

Oz govt is quick to issue travel warnings for a slight issue to cover abk side.

Kent
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Been twice now no problems has any one every read the

FCO on Thailand its frightening.

AYUBOWAN

Bub

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

The Australian Govt only put out the warnings to cover their own backside ie: When the Bali bombings happened the government were accused of not warning people in advance.

If you read about the travel advisory for Bali its reads worse than Sri Lanka as the terrorists are actually targeting tourists in Bali. In Sri Lanka the terrorists don't attack the tourists. Thousands of Australians still going to Bali by the Plane load. The Govt say reconsider your need to travel to Bali?

I went into a couple of travel agencies in Melbourne and the agents told me they don't sell Sri Lanka as know one goes their. I have since found an agent that does deal with Sri lanka. But not good for tourism in Sri Lanka with travel agents like that around.

I wouldn't worry to much about the advisory. Do check your insurance policy though as some insurance policies won't cover you for anything if the government says don't go their.

Good luck

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: australian gov are saying dont travel to sri lanka

Thanks both (incl Aussie57) as this gives an insight into how it works down under. As regards getting to SL contact a SL based travel company (Jetwing, Red Dot, Hem Tours, Aitken-Spence etc) and they'll give the appropriate advice (these often have overseas offices as well). We have a similar problem with agents (and doctors, etc) in the UK, who don't really know SL.