We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who is still going in Feb and March??

St Clears, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Who is still going in Feb and March??

A lot of people (including myself) are a little nervous about recent events in Sri Lanka and my fiance and I desperately don't want to have to cancel or change our destination at this late stage as we are flying out (for our wedding!) on Feb 3rd for 8 days in Cinnamon Lodge.

I can see from other posts that some are cancelling but I'd love to hear from those that are still going, particularly in Feb and March.

It would just make me feel a bit better to hear from those in the same boat and hopefuly I'll see you there!

Thanx loads

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

Hi Geo

I am still at this moment in time going at end of February, i will make a FINAL decision on this on Friday of this week, so then my mind will be made up, once and for all, barring of course any interventions from our government on the issue.

Scheduled at this time to be in Sri Lanka for 6 weeks, although maybe 7 because of many requests down there to share thier New Year celebrations with them in April..... here's hoping !

Regards

Dave

Chester
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

We are flying out on Feb 8th to Bentota,we went there 18 months ago,and have no hesitation in going there again,despite the problems.We'll stay away from Colombo city center and enjoy the beaches/weather/hospitality the country has to offer.

Pete

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

HI Geo,

I'm still going..Feb 11th for 4 weeks

I reckon, the most dangerous place is Colombo and as I'm not a lover of Colombo , or most big cities, then it's no problem to me to keep away from there. Except for changing trains a few times in Fort station.

However, I will be visiting the Knuckles mountains, the hill country south of Kandy, including the mountain forests around the Badulla area. Reasonably close to where the bus was attacked last week.

And yes,, I'll be getting there on a mixture of buses and trains and staying in small local family guest houses.

Rod.

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

Going in the summer July/August time

St Clears, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

Thanks everyone. Good to see we won't be alone.

Just dicovered the rather neat website for our hotel (cinnamonhotels.com/Habarana/CinnamonHabarana…) and it gives really good advice on things to do and places to visit near where we are staying so we are all excited again now!!!!!!

Only 2 weeks to go!

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

Hi,

Cinnamon Lodge,Habarana is an ideal location & its a convenient location to operate so many excursions from that area.Also a very friendly staff & plenty of things to offer. I am sure you will enjoy a lot.

Nishantha

Colombo
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

Don't worry. Please cary on with your plan. You will be more than safe here in SRI LANKA

SW England
Level Contributor
316 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

Flying there tonight!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

hi geo uk.

flying out on the 2nd feb for 3 weeks have no intention of canceling,the thought has not even entered my head,and unless the fo tell me i can't go then we are off.

we will use a bit of common sense,and then proceed to enjoy the great people and a great country.

Russia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who is still going in Feb and March??

We are still going. In the beggining of March for 9 days. We are planning to stay in Kandy and nera Galle.

(we are from Russia)