We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

Cardiff
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

Unfortunately my fiance and I have decided to re schedule our honeymoon to Kenya and are looking for an alternative. Due to travel July the 20th for approx. 10 days in total.

Our travel agent has advised us that 3 days at the Elephant Corridor and then off to the Maldives for 6 nights is a good alternative.

I loved this idea until reading very mixed reviews of elephant corridor. I am dissapointed to read that no one has seemed to have seen an elephants here!! Are there opportunities to see elphants local to here? We will probably be hiring a driver for our stay here and can therefore get around to see a bit of Sri Lanka.

Any advice welcome

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,661 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

Hi there,

No guarantee indeed for seeing them on the premises, though the area is quite elephant-rich; after dark often drivers don't want to travel there for fear of collisions!

There are 2 guaranteed forms of encounter:

a) Elephantback-ride at nearby Habarana. In the season upto July especially lovely because of the filled river, leading to a 'submarine periscope' section of the trip...

b) Wildlife jeep safari in Minneriya or Kaudulla, also nearby. Herds with hundreds and also calves year-round!

All the best,

<Erik> * [Sandya]

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

If it's just elephants go to Habarana, or visit Pinewela on the way to stay in Kandy. Alternatively look at staying at the Kandalama Hotel, which has its own elephants/rides nearby, and it's a stunning place to stay.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

Hi,

Yes Erik is correct. You may have a chance of seeing elephants in the hotel premises itself but no gurantee. Specially in the dawn if you go to the near by lake. Best thing is to arrange a safri to Minneriya or Kaudulla park.

Nishantha

Cardiff
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

Thank you for your advice. Does anyone have any first hand experience of this hotel? Our travel agent has visited it, but not stayed and said it was beautiful. But some people's reveiws are quite off putting.

Slough
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

I've posted on an other of your threads, please email me for more details / photos of hotel (we got married there so I was really picky about things !!)

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

Hi,

Have visited the hotel twice & stayed few nights. PM me if you need more details about the hotel.

Nishantha

London
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

We have just returned from a trip to Sri Lanka and the Maldives and we spent 3 nights at Elephant Corridor. The hotel is really beautiful and we had a fantastic view towards the lake. It is very quiet however, one evening we were the only people there. The food was fine but we thought over-priced for what it was. We understand that they were having problems with the chef. We had a very good driver and for the other two nights he took us out to local restaurants which we preferred. We didn't see elephants while we were there but we did see elephant tracks. I was told they sometimes visit at night. We did go for a walk and saw a beautiful water buffalo bathing in mud though! Overall it is a really beautiful and peaceful place and we would love to return there as we were too busy to take advantage of the hotel facilities. Our driver arranged for us to go on an elephant safari in a jeep and we had a fantastic trip and saw loads of elephants! He also took us for lunch in a traditional village house which was cooked by a family especially for us. We would happily visit Elephant Corridor again and if you would like the details of our driver contact me and I will let you have his email address. Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did. Shelley xx

8. Re: Elephant Corridor - Sigiriya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 01:17